10Gb SFP+ 10GBASE-T ?

Mastaba

Limp Gawd
So i have 10Gb ports on my computers (X9SRH-7TF and X9SRL-F + X540-T2)
I also have a SG500X-24 switch and CAT6a cables.

How to make them work together?
I guess i'll need some sort of adapters between the SFP+ ports of the switch and the RJ45 rear end of the computers?

Unfortunately 10GBASE-T sfp modules do not seem to exist. AIUI 10GBASE-T is too power hungry to be accomodated within a sfp+ module.

You can get media converters which you could connect to the switch with a SFP+ direct attatch cable but from a quick googling (for 10gbase-t sfp media converter) they seem to be extremely expensve (most sites weren't even listing prices, the one site I found that was listed a price of over $2K).

Sadly your best bet is probablly to either get a different switch or put cards with SFP+ ports in the servers.

Thanks for clarification!

So between:
-get SFP+ NICs (like this one?) and cables (like these)?
-get a 10GBASE-T switch (is there something besides the XS708E & XS712T from Netgear?)

What do you think?

Thanks for clarification!

So between:
-get SFP+ NICs (like this one?) and cables (like these)?
-get a 10GBASE-T switch (is there something besides the XS708E & XS712T from Netgear?)

What do you think?

be cheaper and probably perform better to grab the pcie card for just one or two machines, if you can spare the slots. if you have or are thinking of doing more machines with on board 10gb (10gbase-t) and you don't have to go very far, it may be worth it to get the switch so you're not buying a crap ton of adapters. i've researched those netgear switches, but i have no first hand experience.. the price is right, but i decided against them for my environment.

There will be three 10gb fileservers/computers, so either:

-Go for 10GBASE-T and replace the SG500X-24 with a XS708E:

pro:
*i already have all the 10GBASE-T stuff (NIC+cat6a) except the switch.

cons:
*consume more power (38W idle for the XS708E and 98W for the XS12T + 4W/port)
*only 8ports for the XS708E and the XS712T 12port is noisy.

-Go SFP+, keep the SG500X-24 and buy three SFP+ NICs and cables (are the ones linked ok? Something to know/beware of? Compatibility with OmniOS+nappit?)

pro:
*i already have the SG500X-24.
*less power consumption and noise.
*i can have 24*1000BASE-T more ports for others stuff/clients.

cons:
*need to buy 3*NICs/cables
*X540-T2 and onboard 10GBASE-T becomes useless.

i can't speak on compatibility of the sfp+ cards (i'd read the HP docs) but assuming they're fine, you're down 750+ based on that website just for those. prices for any decent sfp+ card will be comparable. then add in your direct attach cables. the 8-port netgear was listed for 676.

can you keep both switches? not sure exactly what you're looking to do, would it be viable to run a 10g uplink (DA/fiber) from the netgear to the existing cisco, keeping your 1g clients on the cisco?

Back