• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

10C drop by mobo switch, huh?

Kritter

Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2005
Messages
621
I recently switched from an ASRock P4V88 to an Asus P4P800. My P4 3.2E was idling at 48C and 52ish-C under load on my ASRock board. Now on my Asus mobo the cpu idles at 38C and 44ish-C under load. But the even weirder thing is that it's also overclocked about 300MHz(CPU 3.5ish, clock at 220MHz). What could I have done to cause the improved thermals?
 
Kritter said:
I recently switched from an ASRock P4V88 to an Asus P4P800. My P4 3.2E was idling at 48C and 52ish-C under load on my ASRock board. Now on my Asus mobo the cpu idles at 38C and 44ish-C under load. But the even weirder thing is that it's also overclocked about 300MHz(CPU 3.5ish, clock at 220MHz). What could I have done to cause the improved thermals?


Most likely, the sensors are just off, as they typically are. I would take those numbers with a grain of salt. They may be useful for comparison when making changes within the same system, but I wouldn't compare between different motherboards.
 
Well for starters, you can't change the motherboard without remounting the heat sink, so one quick theory would be that your thermal interface material sucked before and doesn't suck now. Plus you would have had to redo nearly everything in your case so you probably have better airflow now. Also this is all assuming both temperatures are completely accurate, which isn't necessarily the case.
 
ashmedai said:
one quick theory would be that your thermal interface material sucked before and doesn't suck now.


Arctic Silver 5 before, Arctic Silver 5 after.


Also, I thought the cpu temp sensor was on die?
 
Kritter said:
Arctic Silver 5 before, Arctic Silver 5 after.

Sorry if I was unclear, I was speculating on the application not the substance.
 
I did clean it up and apply less material. Also I didn't use my finger to spread this time :).
 
Kritter said:
I did clean it up and apply less material. Also I didn't use my finger to spread this time :).
er, yeah, thats not good :p

spreading it with your finger introduces the oils on your finger into the compound, which isnt good. i would account taht to at lesat some of hte temperature discrepancy.
 
Yeah, unfortunately, Asus has had a history of under reporting temperatures. I had the p4p800 deluxe with water cooling and arctic silver 5 (razor spreading method to get a thin layer on) and the temperature was 34 idle, 39C load (room temp 25C). The asus died and I switch to Abit IC7 Max3 with same cooling set up but case a little better ventilated (thermal probe). However, now, the bios tells me case is warmer than asus while cpu reads 48 idle, 56C at load. There is a website somewhere where asus and Abit motherboards were tested and compare to actual temperatures taken by third party probes. It was declared that Asus underreport by 5-8C and Abit over report by 8-10C.
 
x1600c said:
they will find a way ;)

I doubt it - the mechanical considerations would imply either an integrated heat sink, or the CPU being on a daughter board.
 
ashmedai said:
I doubt it - the mechanical considerations would imply either an integrated heat sink, or the CPU being on a daughter board.



I agree with you . this was indicated by the smiley face in my previous post
 
Back
Top