10bit sufficient`?

Mauli

Gawd
Right now i have a 2.5mb connection to the internet.. from there is a hub connected to my router but it is only 10mbit. My dad has a long wire going up to his room which links into a 100mbit switch and i have the same thing in my room.

Question: I have the feeling that the internet is going a lot slower than it should, and i am thinking that that has to do with collision in the 10mit hub. Would that be possible? Would you advice buying a 100bit switch?

Depends on what else you have going on. I always reccoment switches over hubs, but if you dont have any other programs going in the background using network bandwidth, I doubt it has anything to do with the hub.

Easiest way to find out is surf the net and ping the other computer and watch the times.
Open a command window and type: ping <COMPUTERNAME> -t

Then try the same pinging your router.

If you get spikes in latency, it maybe the hub is failing, or you are getting collisions. If not, then your hub is nto the bottle neck.

Honestly, drop 20 bucks on a cheap switch. You could spend quite a bit of time worrying about this, testing it, and in the end you won't know for sure. 20 bucks and you are sure.

it's worth it.

Incidently, how long are the cables?

I don't think it is the cables really, mine is 17m by dads is 25m.

Yeah i do get spiky pings at times, i always thought that might be something my dad might have done wrong. the thing is im living in norway, im a poor student, and what costs 20 bugz of there costs 50 bugs over here..

netgear has an ultra cheap 5 port switch... I live in Canada and got it on sale for $20 Cdn.

QJ

Mauli said:
I don't think it is the cables really, mine is 17m by dads is 25m.

Yeah i do get spiky pings at times, i always thought that might be something my dad might have done wrong. the thing is im living in norway, im a poor student, and what costs 20 bugz of there costs 50 bugs over here..
Ah. Well, I still think it might be worth it. There is a very good reason why switches are as cheap as hubs nowadays: They are better tech.

Back