1080ti cooler options?

bos

Limp Gawd
I managed to pick up a PNY blower edition off Amazon warehouse for $666 out the door. I would have preferred a non-reference board and cooler option, but in this market I wasn't going to pass up the PNY.

Right now I'm only playing at 1920x1200 on an i5-3570k, so it barely breaks a sweat. However, with the ryzen refresh in the next month or two I'm doing a new build and will be getting a new 2560x1440p monitor and looking for 100hz+ refresh rates and overclocking which will push that stock blower beyond it's limits.

I'm open to air or liquid cooling...leaning towards liquid for the whole system as I'm in FL, and its usually 77-78F inside in the summer.

It won't push it beyond its limits in any respect. Your only concern will probably be noise. You can mitigate that some by turning the power % setting in afterburner. Usually can go down to 80% or lower and still get good clocks.

It won't push it beyond its limits in any respect. Your only concern will probably be noise. You can mitigate that some by turning the power % setting in afterburner. Usually can go down to 80% or lower and still get good clocks.

Yeah, my experience with the reference style blowers is the cards end up thermally limiting and hitting those 80C+ temps pretty easily...and yeah get loud as hell.

Yeah, my experience with the reference style blowers is the cards end up thermally limiting and hitting those 80C+ temps pretty easily...and yeah get loud as hell.

Yeah, definitely give the power % a shot. If you still want better you can get the kraken G12. Never used one myself but they seem to be pretty good, maybe someone else who owns one will chime in.

Yeah, definitely give the power % a shot. If you still want better you can get the kraken G12. Never used one myself but they seem to be pretty good, maybe someone else who owns one will chime in.

Yeah that's pretty steep once you add a pump and what not. I might check out the evga hybrid cooler try find out if that will work on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180307_201827587.jpg
    IMG_20180307_201827587.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
I ran my 1080ti founders edition for about a month on stock blower cooler on my Dell Gsync monitor at 2560x1440 around 100mhz and it was loud as hell but my computer was around ear level and about 3 feet away from me.

It all went away when I switched to water cooling. I'll never buy a blower cooler without the intention of switching to a waterblock.

Zip ties and a couple of 140mm Noctua PWM fans should do the trick.

Yeah good lord are those kraken AIOs overpriced. I just watched a youtube of someone using one of these. Much cheaper and still seems really good: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186068

I have a Kraken G10 on my 980ti. The brackets themselves aren't too expensive and you don't have to use their AIO. I picked up the bracket used for under $20 and a Corsair H50 on sale for $35. My MSI card would hit 83C at 1.2v, now it maxes out around 62 on hot days at 1.25v.

There are two things when using a Kraken bracket. 1. You need to cool the VRM/Mem (some cards have a midplate that does this). 2. If there is a midplate it might need to be trimmed or you might need to use a shim on the core.

Zip ties and a couple of 140mm Noctua PWM fans should do the trick.

I did this on a gigabyte 980 very recently. It has a good cooler but it was still really loud above 50% for my tastes. 120s were a better fit and works great now.

I have the founders edition and fitted an Accelero Xtreme III cooler to it.
20C+ drop in temps, practically silent on full fan and a higher overclock.
My gaming temps are usually around 50C, max I have seen is mid 50s.
Pretty cheap as well.

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html
https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html

The III uses glued on sinks for the memory and VRMs etc. You will lose your cards warranty with this cooler.
The IV has a backplate that cools ICs through the card with heat pads. This can be removed if you need to RMA the card.
The III cools ram and VRMs a bit better but the IV is still effective.

I have the founders edition and fitted an Accelero Xtreme III cooler to it.
20C+ drop in temps, practically silent on full fan and a higher overclock.
My gaming temps are usually around 50C, max I have seen is mid 50s.
Pretty cheap as well.

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html
https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html

The III uses glued on sinks for the memory and VRMs etc. You will lose your cards warranty with this cooler.
The IV has a backplate that cools ICs through the card with heat pads. This can be removed if you need to RMA the card.
The III cools ram and VRMs a bit better but the IV is still effective.

That looks like the way to go right there. (y)

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Only downside is they are a pita to fit.
Free up 2 to 4 hours.

I have a Accelero hybrid III-120, great performance and silent. It sadly didnt really helped push a higher OC compared to the stock blower but I just could not live with that blower noise once OC'ed.
I can't hear it (over the rest of my rig) and keeps my card below 60C and over 2000mhz in the summer heat. (~50C in atm)

I would say get a G10/G12 and a H55 cooler from corsair and you are done. You will need to make the card naked for this install (just like the arctic one above me).
However, it is totally worth it.

Max cost shouldn't be more than 30 for the bracket and about a 50 for the H55.

If you decide to go water, are you going to go AIO or custom loop. If you dont want to invest in a custom loop i'd recommend the hybrid kit. My 1080 ti used to thermal throttle alot with the blower fan but with the hybrid kit my temps say blow 60C under full load and its over clocked to 2075MHz. With the hybrid kit you get the cooling of a solution of the cosair aio but you get to main tain the look of the card. All that i would do differently with the kit and 1. replace the fan that comes with it and plug the fan into your mobo for better fan control.

If you decide to go water, are you going to go AIO or custom loop. If you dont want to invest in a custom loop i'd recommend the hybrid kit. My 1080 ti used to thermal throttle alot with the blower fan but with the hybrid kit my temps say blow 60C under full load and its over clocked to 2075MHz. With the hybrid kit you get the cooling of a solution of the cosair aio but you get to main tain the look of the card. All that i would do differently with the kit and 1. replace the fan that comes with it and plug the fan into your mobo for better fan control.
The advantage of the hybrid is not only the looks, but you also keep the active cooling of the VRM. Unfortunately the hybrid kits have also been hit by the inflation. The EVGA kit is now going for $170 USD.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1

Hybrid Kits from B&H are 150 or Newegg (+shipping). I have 3 hybrid kits, 1 on a 1080ti and 2 on Titans and they do perform significantly cooler/quieter than the founders cooler, but all of them had the issue of the VRM fan hitting the shroud. Wishing i would have just setup a full loop, my 2 cents.

If you are looking at hybrids alphacool Eiswolf is also an option.

Think the G12 is a good option also. You may be able to keep the backplate with a copper shim.

I managed to pick up a PNY blower edition off Amazon warehouse for $666 out the door. I would have preferred a non-reference board and cooler option, but in this market I wasn't going to pass up the PNY.

Right now I'm only playing at 1920x1200 on an i5-3570k, so it barely breaks a sweat. However, with the ryzen refresh in the next month or two I'm doing a new build and will be getting a new 2560x1440p monitor and looking for 100hz+ refresh rates and overclocking which will push that stock blower beyond it's limits.

I'm open to air or liquid cooling...leaning towards liquid for the whole system as I'm in FL, and its usually 77-78F inside in the summer.

Crank up to 4k on a ~40" tv.
Was using a e3-1270 home lab build for 5 years until I built out a 7700k for gaming.
Most games you will notice games are a little smoother, but the card you bought can do most of the heavy lifting.

The Kraken G10/12 has a 92mm fan for VRM cooling, you just need to buy a separate VRM heatsink.
You actually do not need a sink. The fan alone is enough. Speaking from experience. Sinks do nothing IMO or do so little that you don't need to give a crap about them.

Both Kraken G10 or the G12 are solid coolers, actually really good. Either one, and you are set imo.

Back