1080's idle clock too sensitive?

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having an issue with the NVIDIA 1080 FE and its idle clock.

Within the modeling software Modo, there's a stutter upon initially rotating, panning, and zooming the 3D viewport in a heavy scene. I found the cause to be the 1080's behavior to instantly idle the GPU core/memory to 139mhz/101.3mhz.

For example, when manipulating the viewport, the delay between 139mhz and the 1607mhz base clock creates a stutter or skip. It's so sensitive that the very moment I pause while rotating, it instantly drops back to 139mhz, causing another stutter when I continue.

I've never OCed before, but will software like Afterburner let me adjust the idle clock, even better with application profiles? Or is there another setting within the NVIDIA control panel to adjust this?

Edit: So upon opening the NVIDIA Control Panel, under global settings, there's "power management mode." Setting "prefer max performance" helped keep the clock at base the entire time in Modo. Not sure what Adaptive mode offers.

Last edited:
You can actually set the idle clock to whatever you want (using OC software), so you can have it running at full speed the whole time.

Back