• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1080p HTPC Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
I don’t know anything about the folks at Origen AE, but I know the company’s S21T 1080p HTPC case with built in 12" TFT is a sexy beast. We’ll have to get one of these for an evaluation at [H] Consumer. So many mods come to mind just looking at this thing it isn’t even funny.


Featuring an impressive 12.1 inch motorized TFT touch screen, removable motherboard tray, support for ten hard drives, no visible screws on the outside of a 5mm thick one-piece aluminium chassis panel, unrivalled hardware compatibility and a footprint depth of only 390mm, the S21T is possibly the craziest idea we have ever let go beyond the back-of-an-envelope concept stage
 
Is it just me or does that first picture make it look like some unusual microwave?
 
looks nice and clean. even room for a tripple rad in back:D
even the 12" touchpad is 1080p
no price means if you have to ask.... lol
 
$600 (@ pcalchemy) for the X15e, which 'only' has a 7" TFT (1024x768) screen...$800+ easy for this one?
 
1920x1080, in 12"... :(
My eyes hurt just thinking about it! :eek:

That thing does look wicked killer but yeah - touch screen... Try to hit an icon with your finger on a 12" screen running at 1920x1080. The dang icons will be about the diameter of a pencil lead. :eek: Text would be insane.
 
Is it just me or does that first picture make it look like some unusual microwave?

I thought the same thing. Maybe if you put enough high powered parts in it you could cook some food...

Other mod ideas...
  • Have the LCD show a fire place and the strangth of the fire tied to your CPU/GPU/Case Temp
  • Aquarium!
  • Have a camera on the outside that makes it look like the LCD is a mirror
  • Have a camera on the inside that shows what is going on inside your system
 
With decent ventilation it wouldn't make half a bad server case given the integrated LCD. It might not fit in a rack, but this plus Windows Home Server? Yum :).
 
At least 1k if not more.


I'm guessing 1-1.4k for this case.
 
assume without the LCD, the case is worth 200 bux, so they are charging 1200 bux for a 12 inch LCD? High 1080p resolution is nice, but impractical on a HTPC case. It's probably not native..notice the "max" word infront?
 
oh look... a microwave

ugh2.gif
 
maye install it in your kitchen ...will fit right in!
probably u could even reuse the mounting brackets from the real micro you are ripping out.
 
That is a very nice system. Can't help but think it needs a defrost button ;) .

Seriously though, once you have an application running I think it will change it's look considerably.

Think about the applications you could run:

- Pernament internet browser, so you can see the information without changing the channel on your main tv; news, weather, stocks, online games server listings
- Nice clear screen showing the music on your upu server
- tv listings
- another tv channel
- Home security; connected to various cameras of your property, front door, yard etc
I'm sure there are many I haven't thought of.

However, I don't think you could realistically use the 1080p resolution if you sit far away from it and the touch screen will get mucky. I think the location of the ports (usb, headphones etc) are in a silly location, leads all trailing over that pretty screen but you'd probably never use them and use the back ones (if fitted).

If you can plug this into another display as well as use the front one, I may have found the htpc case I have been looking for.
 
I must say I don't see the point of having screens in HTPC cases:

1) You will have a 1080p TV connected to it.

2) You are most likely to have a remote control unless you enjoy running back and forward to the case just to swap TV channel.

3) The further away you can move the case the better regarding noise.

QFT! It makes no sense! :(
 
Stunning case!

Of course, the "point" of the screen is total gimmick. No one is going to care/use 1080p on a 12" screen. For that matter, most 720 and even 420 content will likely look the same given the small screen.

My curiosity would be the effectiveness (and noise) of bottom mounted vertical intake fans.

1) Is the gap in the bottom of the case enough to allow for proper intake air,even with the fans raises slightly above the bottom of the case?

2) How noisy would they be sucking air from such a "shallow" area?

If proper ventilation and noise were at a minimum, this would be a gorgeous HTPC case... even though I'd like one without the 1080p screen. Hell, if the case is going for $1500, that'll buy a 50+" proper 1080p rear-projection HDTV!!
 
I'm not telling....just think consoles and you'll have an idea where my brain is going on this one. :D

Yes, stick a xbox360 in their and make it look oh so much prettier!

Here's the distributor for it in the UK. At £679.22 for the case it may have to wait awhile.
 
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Awsome!

I'm converting to laptop (Mac actually)now, and I'd like to put my desktop system in a case like this for HTPC use. Desktop system is now a FX60, 4GB ram and a X1900XTX card, I just got a secound 500GB disk and with my current one and the 150GB raptor that makes 3. The extra space will come in handy. I already have it passive cooled (zalman reserator). I think my setup deserves this case :D

The only thing I may dislike is the placement of the panel with the card readers and mic and headphone outs, but I think thats a minor issue. I got extearnal in\outs for sound with my Creative X-Fi Elite Pro anyway.

The big screen is exellent since I do not need to keep my big crt when converting to this case. I can use the onboard screen for all system maintenence. All inpust are wireless. Of course this will serve as a house file server along with a media center.

What some people don't understand is that in a projector setup, one might like to use the HTPC for listening to music and such, and not watching movies. It would be great doing so without using the projector, and preserve lamp life. This actually goes for plasma screens as well because of the burn risk.

I think for me, this will be perfect...and worth it.
 
Back
Top