1080p 1920x1080 LCD TV Questions

Hey there,

I've been looking into buying a LCD TV that will do 1x1 pixel mapping for an HTPC I am going to build. I would like to use it for Media as well as gaming (mostly gaming) through the TV. Currently I'm using a Panasonic Plasma 42PX75U (Awesome TV for the price if you dig plasma - no issues whatsoever!). I'm just not sure which LCD TV's to look at, I haven't done much research into the issue for a while. Also, any specific recommendations on video cards? I've been looking at the 1gb 4870's, but I'm not sure if anyone else has experience with these.

Thanks!

My plasma's maximum resolution is only 1376x768. I'm looking for a TV that does 1x1 pixel mapping up to 1920x1080 or equivalent. Honestly It probably wouldn't matter with Plasma vs LCD, the new plasma's don't have many problems with image burn in at all as long as you get a quality one.

Go the next step... 42PZ80 series :)
I got the 42PZ80B because of the exceptional specs and a price thats much lower than the high end LCDs that it still beats!
Its fantastic for everything.
4 months old now, used 16+hrs a day (50% PC use) and no issues.

I ran it in for the first 1000 hrs by using the PC in low power ECO mode for browsing the web.
Gaming, films and TV have always been run at full power.

Check out the Samsung 40A550. That can do 1:1. Also, the Toshiba 42RV530 can do 1:1 as well.

Thanks for the additional info. Nenu, do you have any issues with the TV keeping the image retention of your Icons, or gaming HUDS, etc? I know that the pixel shift takes care of that when you put a movie or something in, just wanted to know how it was when much more of the screen is static.

There is only one time I have had a momentary retention issue during the run in period (when it is supposedly more vulnerable)...
I was watching a film using the PC when I fell asleep on the mouse, so the screen saver didnt activate all night.
Shortly after I awoke the blank screen (screensaver) activated and the screens previous image was clear as day, all the text was still readable, I was gobsmacked!
So I watched TV for 1/2hr and it completely went away :)
Thats when I realised just how resilient the screen is, especially as this was early on in the run in period!

Since then I have abused it solid with hours of full power PC use and nothing ever sticks.
After a long gaming session you can see a very feint inverse after image of what was on the screen but it always disappears when watching a film or TV and is not persistent.

Worthy of note also:
I dont watch TV with overscan on so some TV pictures dont fill the screen and some are still in 4:3 format.
There is no trace of the old picture shapes left on my set from this.

I have no hesitation recommending one of these sets for PC use when it is also used for watching TV/video.
It looks like they have finally fixed Plasmas major bug bear.

Back