1080i HDTV downscaled to 480p on PS3

figgie said:
ok again

if the tv is upscaling whatever signal you are sending to it to the native resolution (be it 720p, 1080i or 1080p) how exactly are people going to "know" when most folks don't mess with bypassing the scaler to have the input be the source for the display instead of the scaler ;)

They unbox, plug in, and ooh and ahh over hdtv right out of the box ;)
My TV tell me exactly what resolution the source I'm viewing is.

If it's 1080i, 720p, or 480i or p, it tells me on the TV when I select that source.

It would be pretty obvious.

VoodooChi|d said:
My TV tell me exactly what resolution the source I'm viewing is.

If it's 1080i, 720p, or 480i or p, it tells me on the TV when I select that source.

It would be pretty obvious.

for everyone person that it is "obvious" i can get nearly 30 times that amount that even with it "showing" them they wouldn't know or care.

I should know as I sell tv/projectors for home theater applications and the same calls always come through for gaming on the nice shiney new tv that i sold them. Then i take the time to explain to them when it matter and when it doesn't. ;)

This forum is the minority. The majority are exactly the opposite (ie the not knowing crowd).

Obviously I'm not talking about a general 40 y/o consumer...

But most people into gaming... and into HD gaming I think know the difference between 480p and 720p/1080i

VoodooChi|d said:

But most people into gaming... and into HD gaming I think know the difference between 480p and 720p/1080i

generalization and using speculatives. Also you are incorrect on age. The majority of my buyers are the mid 20 - late 30 group.

most people that play games on their HD do it because

1. They already purchased the nice shiney new hdtv.
2. Want to see what thier games look like on HDTV AND 40+ inches.

They could care less what output the console is outputting as long as the final display is what the resolution of the screen is, and to thier eyes it looks better (which it does) which in all fixed display HDTV (DLP, D-ila, LCOS, SRXD, LCD etc) display thier native resolution at all time regardless of signal (thank you upscaling) and none the wiser regardless of what the "input" says.

VoodooChi|d said:

More specifically: the people who are willing to pay for a PS3 will know the difference.

I'm sure this will eventually be sorted out by a firmware update (X360 can now do 1080p), but until then thats a bit of a pain in the ass.

figgie said:
for everyone person that it is "obvious" i can get nearly 30 times that amount that even with it "showing" them they wouldn't know or care.
You'd figure that a higher-than-average percentage of folks who actually want to own a PS3 would understand the different between 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. This isn't like connecting your PS2 to your TV via component, where the difference is there, but harder to quantify - these are _resolutions_. It's like saying you can't tell the difference between 640x480 and 1600x1200.

erwos said:
You'd figure that a higher-than-average percentage of folks who actually want to own a PS3 would understand the different between 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. This isn't like connecting your PS2 to your TV via component, where the difference is there, but harder to quantify - these are _resolutions_. It's like saying you can't tell the difference between 640x480 and 1600x1200.

on a fixed display you can't
you could feed it a 480i input and it will always be the native res of the display

ie 1080i, 720p. Since it all goes through the scaler ;)

figgie said:
generalization and using speculatives. Also you are incorrect on age. The majority of my buyers are the mid 20 - late 30 group.

most people that play games on their HD do it because

1. They already purchased the nice shiney new hdtv.
2. Want to see what thier games look like on HDTV AND 40+ inches.

They could care less what output the console is outputting as long as the final display is what the resolution of the screen is, and to thier eyes it looks better (which it does) which in all fixed display HDTV (DLP, D-ila, LCOS, SRXD, LCD etc) display thier native resolution at all time regardless of signal (thank you upscaling) and none the wiser regardless of what the "input" says.
Wll my CRT HDTV is not a fixed pixel display so it does change...

And most people would notice the difference between 480p and 720p visually without it telling them...

VoodooChi|d said:
Wll my CRT HDTV is not a fixed pixel display so it does change...

And most people would notice the difference between 480p and 720p visually without it telling them...

ahh well you never said that... hence me stating fixed display like DLP, LCD etc. CRT can display just about any HDTV resolution and will feed it what ever you throw at it as long as ....... no it will even attempt higher resolution than it can support, it will just overscan the lines to its highest resolution (which on most new CRT is in the order of 2000x2000).

as for the resolution... depends.

If you are sitting close enough that you can see the pixels themselves. Yes.

At normal viewing distance, you would be hard pressed to notice on anything below 32 inches. above 32 inches - 46 inches you can start seeing the resolution diff quite clearly.

Uhh... I notice a pretty big difference between the 1080i HD channels and 480p DVD.

Even my 62 year old mother notices a difference.

VoodooChi|d said:
Uhh... I notice a pretty big difference between the 1080i HD channels and 480p DVD.

Even my 62 year old mother notices a difference.

dude

be more specific. On what?

a 60 inch screen?

PoweredBySoy said:
Well, I own Sonys XBR970 which is 1080i native. And this set is still sold in stores to this day.

Not like I was going to get a PS3 anyways. What a joke.

I know Sony still makes 1080i CRTs, look at my original comment, I said "Flat panel", meaning I wasn't talking about CRTs, since flat panel HDTV far outsells CRT HDTV.

VoodooChi|d said:
CRT direct view TV... they don't make them in 60"...

Sony KD-30XS955... it's 30"...

CRT was made in rear projection to up to 62 inches also not exclusively to direct view.. Mitsubishi, Pioneer Elite and a couple of other brands, hence the asking for specifics. ;)

Anyone seen this PS3 commercial? Around 1:07 the narrator states, "Even the most dramatic visual effects are rendered instantaneously at full 1080pi definition, and delivered uncompressed via HDMI; the highest quality video and audio connector available."

Never heard of 1080pi. Is there a difference between rendering resolution and output resolution?

GDstew4 said:
Anyone seen this PS3 commercial? Around 1:07 the narrator states, "Even the most dramatic visual effects are rendered instantaneously at full 1080pi definition, and delivered uncompressed via HDMI; the highest quality video and audio connector available."

Never heard of 1080pi. Is there a difference between rendering resolution and output resolution?
He said 1080p Hi-Definition...

pr0pensity said:
So the PS3 only supports 480p and 1080p and nothing else?
Zoh, no. From what I've heard and seen: 480i (ye olde composite), 480p, 720p...

And the up-in-the-air stuff...1080i and 1080p. Apparently it does the latter, but not the former, instead deciding upon 480p over 1080i.

so, if I HAD wanted a ps3, which I don't really, my 32" Directview HDTV that doesn't support 720p or 1080p, and only 480i, 480p, 1080i, would only get 480p? wow, nice... thanks Sony.

Ok to avoid anymore confusion because I myself was somewhat confused...

PS3 supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

Now your TV has to support 720p or 720p content will be downconverted into 480p.

It will not upconvert 720p content to 1080i.

If the content was natively 1080i then yes, it would support it but the content in question is natively 720p and if your TV does not support that resolution it will not upconvert it to 1080i.

Did that clear everything up?

This is supposed to me the "minority" of enthusiasts who know things other don't and yet this thread is chalk full of confusion and people not even knowing what the hell is going on.

They just read Sony sucks for this reason and are trying to figure it out. hahaha

I just found that funny.

VoodooChi|d said:
Ok to avoid anymore confusion because I myself was somewhat confused...

PS3 supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

Now your TV has to support 720p or 720p content will be downconverted into 480p.

It will not upconvert 720p content to 1080i.

If the content was natively 1080i then yes, it would support it but the content in question is natively 720p and if your TV does not support that resolution it will not upconvert it to 1080i.

Did that clear everything up?

Not really, no one official has answered the question of "accept vs natively display". Thats the entire crux of the issue. It sounds like the way the article was worded they are stating it's only TV's that do not accept 720p. Thats not my situation, nor almost all of you posting in this thread from what I've read.

still waiting for official sony word

Well I guess we don't know 100% but going by the article and other official statements from Sony (They never said 720p would upconver so they didn't really lie).

As long as your TV SUPPORTS 720p it will display it as such. Not native...

How many TV's support 1080i and not 720p anyway?

But yes... Since it's making the rounds on all the blogs and stuff I'm hoping Sony will say something about it.

Back