1080 Stock/OC vs 1070 Stock/OC vs Titan X Stock vs 980 Ti Stock/OC vs 980 Stock/OC vs 970 Stock/OC

arestavo

[H]ard|Gawd
Kyle deleted my post in his review of the 1080 OC vs 1070 OC vs a STOCK Titan X (stock, really?), and told me to make my own thread.

So here it is!

A much, much better stock vs OC comparison of the 1080, 1070, 980 Ti, 980, and 970. I just noticed that they put a stock Titan X in there as well!

TLDR - if you pick up a 980 Ti for $400 or under and OC it, it will beat an OCed 1070 and come close to stock 1080 performance. And before you say you don't want to buy used, I picked up a brand new 980 Ti Classified from Newegg's Ebay storefront for $410 - deals on the 980 Ti are out there!

EDIT: Here are some tests that I did just to prove that this guy isn't full of it (I used the same settings that Tweaktown used for these, and used their scores for comparison) -

My Heaven score with those settings from Tweaktown's review - min 36.8 and an average of 153.9 which BEATS the stock 1080 (however they didn't do 1070 OC results).

I scored 5 221 in Fire Strike Ultra - there's my FS Ultra which also beats the stock 1080 (again, no 1070 OC result).

I scored 18 327 in Fire Strike - and here's my regular FS which also beats the stock 1080, AND THE 1070 OC by 12.7%

Yes, I'm only looking at the graphics score (click the link, Hard forum automagically did them with my overall score) for the 3DMark tests since comparing total scores is not all that great a measure of GPU unless the GPU is held back by the CPU.

Metro Last Light Redux - 158 FPS, 11% faster than the 1070 OC.

It's true - on average a 980 Ti is 10% faster, OC to OC, than a 1070. And if you have a good 980 Ti OC you'll beat out a stock 1080. A 1080 OC is only 10 to 15% faster than a 980 Ti OC.

Last edited:
Edited the original post to include some tests that I did. If anyone wants to see other tests, and I have the game/test (or it is free) then ask and I can run them.

Here are some tests that I did just to prove that this guy isn't full of it -

My Heaven score with those settings from Tweaktown's review - min 36.8 and an average of 153.9 which BEATS the stock 1080 (however they didn't do 1070 OC results). Whaaaaat?

I scored 5 221 in Fire Strike Ultra - there's my FS Ultra which also beats the stock 1080 (again, no 1070 OC result). What what whaaaat?

I scored 18 327 in Fire Strike - and here's my regular FS which ALSO beats the stock 1080, AND THE 1070 OC BY TWELVE POINT SEVEN PERCENT.

Yes, I'm only looking at the graphics score (click the link, Hard forum automagically did them with my overall score) for the 3DMark tests since comparing total scores is not all that great a measure of GPU unless the GPU is held back by the CPU.

Metro Last Light (redux version using Tweaktown's settings) - 158 FPS, 11% faster than the 1070 OC.

It's true - on average a 980 Ti is 10% faster, OC to OC, than a 1070. And if you have a good 980 Ti OC you'll beat out a stock 1080.

Congrats. Your exotic, watercooled 980 Ti beats an off-the-shelf, reference $449 (or less), cooler, quieter, using less power, and with more advanced features card. :)

Congrats. Your exotic, watercooled 980 Ti beats an off-the-shelf, reference $449 (or less), cooler, quieter, using less power, and with more advanced features card. :)

In a canned benchmark at 1080p. And it's easy to overclock 1070/1080 FE cards and get another 10% out of them. I don't understand why guys with top end last gen hardware get all up about this kind of stuff. If you have a highly overclocked 980 Ti then the 1070/1080s probably aren't for you, the 980 Ti is only a year old. But if you're on older hardware like me, there's no reason to get a 980 Ti when 1070/1080s exist unless you're looking to economize on cheap last gen hardware.

It doesn't run cooler than my card (55C max on hot days), or quieter (I can't hear the fans even with both at 100%), but the new 10 series does have new features and draws less power - anyone who doesn't realize that the 1080/1070 uses significantly less power than a 980 Ti probably won't find their way here anyways. Where I live, the power cost difference of running a 180W+ card or a 250W+ card is about $30 A YEAR - not really significant.. Some of the new features, such as Fast Sync, can be enabled via Nvidia Inspector. Others might be implemented later, and some probably won't ever be (up to the user to decide if it is something that they'll use - Ansel and the VR improvements don't matter at all to me because I won't ever use them, and power doesn't matter either).

And it cost me a lot less than a new 1080, and without the AIO and bracket it costs the same or less than any 1070 I've seen available so far - $390 (with $20 rebate) for a new 980 Ti Classified from Newegg, $59 for the H55 AIO which can be used for other cards (even the 1080!), and $25 for the Kraken G10 bracket which can be used on other cards (even the 1080!). There are other new 980 Ti's that have gone for as low as $330 AR making it an even tougher choice.

And I'm sure that you've seen, as you've done your research as I have, that the 1080 and 1070 cards OC the same regardless of being reference or aftermarket, air or water cooled? It's just the sustained clockspeed that takes the hit if you don't crank up the stock fans - which has been the case for the past couple of generations even with older GPU Boost versions.

In a canned benchmark at 1080p. And it's easy to overclock 1070/1080 FE cards and get another 10% out of them. I don't understand why guys with top end last gen hardware get all up about this kind of stuff. If you have a highly overclocked 980 Ti then the 1070/1080s probably aren't for you, the 980 Ti is only a year old. But if you're on older hardware like me, there's no reason to get a 980 Ti when 1070/1080s exist unless you're looking to economize on cheap last gen hardware.

As for canned benchmarks? That's why I asked if there were any other benchmarks or games (that I have or are free) that others wanted tested - Metro LL Redux may be canned, but it uses an actual game.

As for OC? I compared OC to OC for 1070 to 980 Ti, as did the video. The 1080 IS faster OCed, no doubt. However, for me it's not $620 to $700+ for an upgrade faster.

I'm actually not up in arms, I'm posting to spread knowledge so that folks can make an accurate assessment since many review sites don't show OC to OC results. I would have been extremely disappointed shelling out that much money for 10 to 15% better performance out of a 1080, others might call it a good upgrade and worth the cost. I would have been extraordinarily disappointed shelling out for a 1070.

Last edited:
I agree it makes no sense at all to get a 980ti over a 1070 assuming you can find one after nvidia's spectacular 10xx paper launch where even to this day you still can't easily find cards unless you troll nowinstock 24 hours a day. It makes zero sense to buy a 1080 if you already own a 980ti though because there is little to no difference in performance between the two card. 15% on a good day. I own both in two different machines and both are very comparable to each other in performance in VR and in surround.

As for canned benchmarks? That's why I asked if there were any other benchmarks or games (that I have or are free) that others wanted tested - Metro LL Redux may be canned, but it uses an actual game.

As for OC? I compared OC to OC for 1070 to 980 Ti, as did the video. The 1080 IS faster OCed, no doubt. However, for me it's not $620 to $700+ for an upgrade faster.

I'm actually not up in arms, I'm posting to spread knowledge so that folks can make an accurate assessment since many review sites don't show OC to OC results. I would have been extremely disappointed shelling out that much money for 10 to 15% better performance out of a 1080, others might call it a good upgrade and worth the cost. I would have been extraordinarily disappointed shelling out for a 1070.

I hear what you're saying, I just think you're making too complicated. There are plenty of reviews out there and I don't think any that I read recommended upgrading from a Titan or 980 Ti to a 1070 or 1080. You can get into all of the overclocking business but stock for stock, the 1070/1080 delivers a bit better performance for a lot less power than nVidia's last gen top end parts. If you have a Titan or 980 Ti you're probably better off waiting for the next Titan or 1080Ti or whatever comes next. That's fine.

But if you're not coming from the last gen top end then unless you're trying to get a deal on a Titan or 980 Ti and top end performance then the 1070 or 1080 are great cards and have gotten top recommendations from every review I've read including the review from our friends here at [H].

I agree it makes no sense at all to get a 980ti over a 1070 assuming you can find one after nvidia's spectacular 10xx paper launch where even to this day you still can't easily find cards unless you troll nowinstock 24 hours a day. It makes zero sense to buy a 1080 if you already own a 980ti though because there is little to no difference in performance between the two card. 15% on a good day. I own both in two different machines and both are very comparable to each other in performance in VR and in surround.

You just can't resist dropping in your "paper launch" nonsense, lol.

I hear what you're saying, I just think you're making too complicated. There are plenty of reviews out there and I don't think any that I read recommended upgrading from a Titan or 980 Ti to a 1070 or 1080. You can get into all of the overclocking business but stock for stock, the 1070/1080 delivers a bit better performance for a lot less power than nVidia's last gen top end parts. If you have a Titan or 980 Ti you're probably better off waiting for the next Titan or 1080Ti or whatever comes next. That's fine.

But if you're not coming from the last gen top end then unless you're trying to get a deal on a Titan or 980 Ti and top end performance then the 1070 or 1080 are great cards and have gotten top recommendations from every review I've read including the review from our friends here at [H].

Agreed. The 1070/1080 being faster than those parts (Maxwell) in their tests does not indicate a recommendation to upgrade from said parts.

I went from TITAN X SLI to 1080 SLI...it's basically a sidegrade. Slightly faster, but nothing that you can "feel" in game. Looking forward to reaping the VR benefits with my VIVE in the near future.

You just can't resist trolling every post I make. I guess I should feel honored that I have my very own troll. I've become legit I suppose. Also by the time those VR benefits arrive you'll be making the switch to the 1080ti. Also SLI will do nothing for you ever in VR and in fact will probably create problems.

You just can't resist trolling every post I make. I guess I should feel honored that I have my very own troll. I've become legit I suppose. Also by the time those VR benefits arrive you'll be making the switch to the 1080ti. Also SLI will do nothing for you ever in VR and in fact will probably create problems.

Haha. Relax man. Everything will be OK. You got your card even though it was a paper launch. It's a miracle!

Haha. Relax man. Everything will be OK. You got your card even though it was a paper launch. It's a miracle!

I wouldn't equate tight supply with paper launch unless there were just so few that almost no one had the product. I didn't have any trouble getting my two Gigabyte 1080 FEs on launch day. But I was prepared and ordered right on the dot at 9 AM EDT on May 27th. And I didn't really care what brand since this was an FE card though I would have gone with EVGA had that been available and they weren't at the time and so I just went with the Gigabytes.

The thing that took the longest to get for my new build was the stupid new SLI bridge. They went on sale a couple of weeks ago, sold out pretty fast and they're still sold out. I have no idea why it's that hard to produce that part.

If you think that I'm making it too complicated what do you think of the video that takes all reference cards from the 970 on up to the 1080 and compares them stock and OCed to each other (except the Titan X which is just stock)? That's spelled out in plain numbers, and it is easy to pause the video and compare.

You are right. Only by getting lucky when I was at my PC with nowinstock and an EVGA 1080 SC at newegg that went out of stock 5 minutes later after I was alerted. By the time I checked out they were all gone, meaning I most likely got the last one. Here we are 5 weeks later and these cards are still rarer than pink unicorns riding a dinosaur. But yeah, no paper launch at all ROFL. I am honored that you continue to troll me though, almost like my own little Everquest pet: wherever I go, you go :p

If you think that I'm making it too complicated what do you think of the video that takes all reference cards from the 970 on up to the 1080 and compares them stock and OCed to each other (except the Titan X which is just stock)? That's spelled out in plain numbers, and it is easy to pause the video and compare.

I haven't seen any reviews of the 1070/1080 that recommended them as upgrades of the Titan or 980 Ti. I'm just saying that you're trying to prove a point that no one is arguing anyway.

Edited the original post to include some tests that I did. If anyone wants to see other tests, and I have the game/test (or it is free) then ask and I can run them.

Here are some tests that I did just to prove that this guy isn't full of it -

My Heaven score with those settings from Tweaktown's review - min 36.8 and an average of 153.9 which BEATS the stock 1080 (however they didn't do 1070 OC results). Whaaaaat?

I scored 5 221 in Fire Strike Ultra - there's my FS Ultra which also beats the stock 1080 (again, no 1070 OC result). What what whaaaat?

I scored 18 327 in Fire Strike - and here's my regular FS which ALSO beats the stock 1080, AND THE 1070 OC BY TWELVE POINT SEVEN PERCENT.

Metro Last Light (redux version using Tweaktown's settings) - 158 FPS, 11% faster than the 1070 OC.

It's true - on average a 980 Ti is 10% faster, OC to OC, than a 1070. And if you have a good 980 Ti OC you'll beat out a stock 1080.
What's true is on average YOUR 980 Ti overclock well. But that's not a representation of most or all cards.

I haven't seen any reviews of the 1070/1080 that recommended them as upgrades of the Titan or 980 Ti. I'm just saying that you're trying to prove a point that no one is arguing anyway.
They portray them as if everyone runs a stock 980 Ti - fairly shitty for comparison for those interested in information on upgrading when they do show 1080/1070 OCs. We come here, to these forums. Chances are that many who frequent these forums would find OC to OC information useful - which is why I linked that video.

What's true is on average YOUR 980 Ti overclock well. But that's not a representation of most or all cards.
Mine is higher than average, average is probably around 1420 to 1450MHz for a 980 ti. The video shows the 980 Ti OC as 10% faster overall at 1452 MHz than a 1070 at 1903 MHz in the games tested. I can get up to 1530MHz if it is cool out, or 1505MHz if not, so yes I would be higher than that 10%. Are there 1070's that are faster in some tests? There has to be, but I haven't seen it happen yet.

The facts and numbers supporting the video are there for anyone who wants to see them. Take it, or leave it.

Last edited:
They portray them as if everyone runs a stock 980 Ti - fairly shitty for comparison when they do show 1080/1070 OCs. We come here, to these forums. Chances are many who frequent these forums would find OC to OC information useful - which is why I linked that video.

Mine is higher than average, average is probably around 1420 or 1450MHz for a 980 ti. The video shows the 980 Ti OC as 10% faster overall at 1452 MHz than a 1070 at 1903 MHz in the games tested. I can get up to 1530MHz if it is cool out, or 1505MHz if not, so yes I would be higher than that 10%. Are there 1070's that are faster in some tests? There has to be, but I haven't seen it happen yet.

The facts and numbers supporting the video are there for anyone who wants to see them. Take it, or leave it.

We go through this rodeo all of the time with GPUs. There are always folks that proclaim "If you overclock the shit out of XXX from last gen it's as good or better than a brand new YYYY." Ok, fine. Again, the 1070/1080 aren't targeted as upgrades over the Titan or 980 Ti. Hell even nVidia doesn't say that. They compare the 1080 with the 980 and the 1070 with the 970 in their marketing.

We go through this rodeo all of the time with GPUs. There are always folks that proclaim "If you overclock the shit out of XXX from last gen it's as good or better than a brand new YYYY." Ok, fine. Again, the 1070/1080 aren't targeted as upgrades over the Titan or 980 Ti. Hell even nVidia doesn't say that. They compare the 1080 with the 980 and the 1070 with the 970 in their marketing.

Ok, interesting. I wasn't going for that but I can address that as well.

No, they probably aren't the targeted replacements. Yet Nvidia did say, over and over in presentations and on paper, that the 1070 is faster than the TitanX. Edit: You do agree that the TitanX is the pinnacle of the 900 series? So by comparing to the TitanX they said it was faster than the 980 Ti as well.

It's (mostly incorrect) marketing and just plain bad information, and yes it's part of what I'm working at dispelling for those who are interested.

As to the overclocking? If you aren't overclocking you are in the minority on these forums. Again, people that come here are generally enthusiasts who, surprise, tend to OC their hardware - as such they would find OC to OC comparisons, not just stock to stock comparisons, very useful information. Should you not, all well and good so just chive on.

Edit: FWIW, my 980 Ti Classified, stock, boosted to 1417MHz with the stock air cooler - not really so far off from the video's 1452 MHz 980 Ti OC, or even the average OC of a 980 Ti. Some folks probably have better stock results than I got - so there is that to consider as well.

Last edited:
Kyle deleted my post in his review of the 1080 OC vs 1070 OC vs a STOCK Titan X (stock, really?), and told me to make my own thread.

So here it is!

A much, much better stock vs OC comparison of the 1080, 1070, 980 Ti, 980, and 970. I just noticed that they put a stock Titan X in there as well!

TLDR - if you pick up a 980 Ti for $400 or under and OC it, it will beat an OCed 1070 and come close to stock 1080 performance. And before you say you don't want to buy used, I picked up a brand new 980 Ti Classified from Newegg's Ebay storefront for $410 - deals on the 980 Ti are out there!

EDIT: Here are some tests that I did just to prove that this guy isn't full of it (I used the same settings that Tweaktown used for these, and used their scores for comparison) -

My Heaven score with those settings from Tweaktown's review - min 36.8 and an average of 153.9 which BEATS the stock 1080 (however they didn't do 1070 OC results).

I scored 5 221 in Fire Strike Ultra - there's my FS Ultra which also beats the stock 1080 (again, no 1070 OC result).

I scored 18 327 in Fire Strike - and here's my regular FS which also beats the stock 1080, AND THE 1070 OC by 12.7%

Metro Last Light Redux - 158 FPS, 11% faster than the 1070 OC.

It's true - on average a 980 Ti is 10% faster, OC to OC, than a 1070. And if you have a good 980 Ti OC you'll beat out a stock 1080. A 1080 OC is only 10 to 15% faster than a 980 Ti OC.

I have 2 980 Ti classifieds that are eligible for the EVGA step-up program. I'm trying to decide if I should step up to two 1070's, or just keep the 980 Ti's. Seems like there is conflicting data out there on the performance of 1070 OC...some reviews claim it's faster than 980 Ti OC, some claim it's slightly slower. Did you say you tested a 1070?

I'm pretty sure a saw a follow-up video to the one in the OP where the guy said he did the original test with beta drivers. Upon redoing the test with approved drivers, he found the 1070 to be faster.

Nice video and confirms what I knew, that the 1080 is only about 20% faster than an overclocked 980 Ti. I think the more surprising part is that the new cards overclock worse despite running cooler with less power used.

I'll keep waiting for that 1080 Ti and 4K @ 120 Hz displays. Gonna be a pretty expensive upgrade though...

I have 2 980 Ti classifieds that are eligible for the EVGA step-up program. I'm trying to decide if I should step up to two 1070's, or just keep the 980 Ti's. Seems like there is conflicting data out there on the performance of 1070 OC...some reviews claim it's faster than 980 Ti OC, some claim it's slightly slower. Did you say you tested a 1070?

No, I've just compared my results with those from reviewers, as well as that video.

If I were you I'd step up to a 1080, the 1070 is too much of a side grade (and depending on OC, possibly a downgrade) - that is unless you are heavy into VR and require lower power consumption.

Nice video and confirms what I knew, that the 1080 is only about 20% faster than an overclocked 980 Ti. I think the more surprising part is that the new cards overclock worse despite running cooler with less power used.

I'll keep waiting for that 1080 Ti and 4K @ 120 Hz displays. Gonna be a pretty expensive upgrade though...

That's precisely why I wanted to get this information out there so folks can make an informed decision. Very few reviews ever pit last generation cards that are OCed to new generation cards (OC or stock) - and for folks like us that's actually very relevant information.

That's precisely why I wanted to get this information out there so folks can make an informed decision. Very few reviews ever pit last generation cards that are OCed to new generation cards (OC or stock) - and for folks like us that's actually very relevant information.

Yeah, while I understand it would be a lot of work to compare everything with both stock and overclocked version, the least reviewers could do is pit something other than a stock reference model of the previous gen top dog against the latest card and overclock the previous gen model with a regular overclock reachable by every card (so probably around 1400 MHz for a 980 Ti).

Back