1080 Ram Usage/Utalization

captaindiptoad

Limp Gawd
So question,

My Fiance' MODs Skyrim (A Crap ton) (even makes some of her own)
Must use DX9 (because bethesda)
We're looking to upgrade to WIN10
Looking to buy 1080
WIN10 DX9 "limits" Vram usage to 4GB
you "can" run it higher but reports are sever FPS drops and stuttering
1080 obviously has GDDR5X
Gist of question, does GDDR5X utilize the memory better, will it use "less" ram. kind of a weird question

So question,

My Fiance' MODs Skyrim (A Crap ton) (even makes some of her own)
Must use DX9 (because bethesda)
We're looking to upgrade to WIN10
Looking to buy 1080
WIN10 DX9 "limits" Vram usage to 4GB
you "can" run it higher but reports are sever FPS drops and stuttering
1080 obviously has GDDR5X
Gist of question, does GDDR5X utilize the memory better, will it use "less" ram. kind of a weird question
I imagine the card can do more with the same amount of ram due to new compression Technics, but i wouldn't expect anything huge. Maybe she should do a dual boot for that purpose?

This is a software issue. A better card won't fix the shit beth engine.

I imagine the card can do more with the same amount of ram due to new compression Technics, but i wouldn't expect anything huge. Maybe she should do a dual boot for that purpose?

This part pretty much answered my questions, i heard about this and hoped it would help some. we will probably dual boot though due to the amount of modding she does, shes really really good at it, in-fact i kind of did a test run of this. Ive got WIN10 and 980Ti installed it all, and set up the modding software, she then took over and asked me what i want modded, i told her that i want to max every texture possible and make it like a hunting simulator. She downloaded all the mods (about 70 of them) and configured all the settings and the load order and compatibility issues within 2 hours. shes a monster. Conclusion is that we got the bastard up to 5.6G and it would play for a whopping 5 mins, freeze and/or crash. at about 4.5 it was stable for about 1/2 hr, and then finally at 3.89 its solid. Just hoping this compression stuff helps a bit.

As for the dual boot, its probably the only choice.

This is a software issue. A better card won't fix the shit beth engine.

Yea i didn't expect it to fully fix the problem, was just wondering if it would be able to "use less" Vram.

Back