1055T Overclock

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I bought a 1055T, and I've got a stable OC of 3780Mhz. I've completed several hour of Prime95 on blend, so I'll call that good.

The OC is accross all 6 cores, with turbo disabled. Multiplier x14, 270 FSB. I had to bump the voltage slightly (.050), and while running Prime the voltage peaks at 1.44 according to CPUID. NB an HT are 2170Mhz. Ram is at 1440Mhz, 7T timings.

I'm struggling to get anymore out of this chip, and maintain satbility. To bump the FSB up to 272, I need to raise the voltage another .025. Once I get beyond 3.8, I've really struggled mainting stability. I can POST and load windows at 4GHz (14 x 286 @ 1.55v). However, it will bomb after a few benchmarks, and will choke on prime in about a minute. Same results if I bump the voltage up to 1.6. The temps starts to get up there, with the cores pushing 60s, when it's at 1.6v.

I can't seem to find a happy medium between my stable OC and the 4 Ghz. I liked the sound of 3.85, but to get that, i need to incraese voltage to about 1.5. That seems like taking on a lot of heat to get 70 more Mhz.

Any thoughts? Additionally, what kind of temps have you all been getting? I'm using at Arctic Cooling 64 Pro, with AS5, and my core temps with Prime running will top out at 50 deg. According to to a few other tools, the sensor CPU sensor can get up intot he high 60s. I thought AMD said not to run them above 62 deg c, so that makes me kind of nervous. It seems to be running great though, and I don't know how accurate that temp sensor is.

get better hsf, lower the overclock and timings on the memory and try again.

1. the heatsink your using sucks..
2. you never stated how much ram you are running because that has a huge effect on the overclock. if you are running more then 4GB of ram then try bumping the NB voltage to 1.2-1.25v(stock is 1.15v
3. you never stated what motherboard you are using.
4. you can run them above 62C but the processor will begin to throttle its self and or the motherboard will do a force shut down if its set to shut down at 62C. thermal temp is 62C shut down temp is 70C for the x6's..

4. you can run them above 62C but the processor will begin to throttle its self and or the motherboard will do a force shut down if its set to shut down at 62C. thermal temp is 62C shut down temp is 70C for the x6's..

Are you refering to core temps here?

Are you refering to core temps here?

Yes, these figures from AMD refer to core temps. The problem with the socket sensors is that it's up to the individual motherboard maker to choose where exactly to place it, and the varying positions means you can't really set up an accurate guideline. Using a Gigabyte board and comparing it to my Asus with the same set-up, the core temp is the same while the Asus socket temp reads 5c lower than the Gigabyte when under a full load.

Thanks for the info.

I noticed in your sig that you have your NB overclocked to 2.6GHZ, I've read taht i should try and keep that around the stock speeds. is there a perforamnce increase from the OC of the nb? if so, is it significant?

thanks

Thanks for the info.

I noticed in your sig that you have your NB overclocked to 2.6GHZ, I've read taht i should try and keep that around the stock speeds. is there a performance increase from the OC of the nb? if so, is it significant?

thanks

the whole keeping the NB clock around stock died when the phenom II x6's came out.. they all do about 3Ghz on the NB now.. and yes theres a pretty big difference in performance especially in games can be anywhere from 6% to 30% gain in performance going between 2ghz and 3ghz on the NB.. some motherboards will allow you to manually change the NB multiplier so you can set it exactly at 3Ghz or as close as possible.. some are tied to the HTT(hypertransport clock multiplier)..

My motherboard (Gigabyte 890GPA0-UD3H), does have the NB tied to the HTT. By default they are set at auto and the same speeds. The board does allow me to set to manual, and choose a multiplier for each. I currently have them both at 8x, which effectively runs them at 2.2Ghz (275 fsb).

Would you suggest i leave the HTT at 8x, and up the NB multiplier?

Additionally, will upping the NB impact my RAM? I currently have 2x4gb of gskill 1600 9T, running at 1465 with 7T timings.

Thanks for your reply

My motherboard (Gigabyte 890GPA0-UD3H), does have the NB tied to the HTT. By default they are set at auto and the same speeds. The board does allow me to set to manual, and choose a multiplier for each. I currently have them both at 8x, which effectively runs them at 2.2Ghz (275 fsb).

Would you suggest i leave the HTT at 8x, and up the NB multiplier?

Additionally, will upping the NB impact my RAM? I currently have 2x4gb of gskill 1600 9T, running at 1465 with 7T timings.

Thanks for your reply

yeah i would try increasing the multiplier on the NB.

yes. it will increase the memory bandwidth allowed by the NB. but as far as effecting the memory directly, no.

Overclocking the NB is definitely worth it. But the benefit is not due to the additional bandwidth, but the lowering of latency and making the L3 cache run faster. AMD's current chips are more reliant on lower latency than raw bandwidth, which is why moving to DDR3 doesn't add much performance in real world applications.

One downside is that as you run the NB faster, the IMC has to work harder and you might have to loosen memory timings. Also, running 4 sticks of ram limits how far you can push the NB. When only running two sticks, I can get mine to 3.2, but when running 4 sticks I'm stuck to 2.8 max, but chose 2.6 to lower voltage requirements.

As far as messing with HTT, it's not worth it. The stock setting give more than enough bandwidth for single socket systems. I keep mine at the stock 2Ghz, but have did some quick testing with it at both 2.6 and 1.6 and saw no performance increase or decrease.

Here's a link to Anandtech who did some scaling of performance when upping the NB.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3877/...investigation-of-thuban-performance-scaling/7

Last edited:
Back