1050HX AX850 XFX850....

masscrazy

Weaksauce
So im struggling between 3 PSUs

Corsair 1050HX silver at £157, Corsair AX850 at £140, XFX 850 Silver at £100

I want both value and performance. All three check those boxes. Im leaning towards the AX.

I want to power an overclocked (ivybridge eventually) i5 2500K, overclocked 7970 in Crossfire (eventually).

Random guess but most people on here will prolly say the XFX unit but IMO i think you should go with the AX its the best unit. Best looking cables best warrenty and support.

Random guess but most people on here will prolly say the XFX unit but IMO i think you should go with the AX its the best unit. Best looking cables best warrenty and support.

Lol, anti Asrock pro XFX fanbois a plenty here.

Anyhoo, the 1050HX also has 7 years warranty and it only slightly more expensive. I just really like the fact that the AX fan turns off when at idle, not sure how much idling it will be doing with a oc'd 2500k and 7970...*sigh* decisions decisions

Lol, anti Asrock pro XFX fanbois a plenty here.

Anyhoo, the 1050HX also has 7 years warranty and it only slightly more expensive. I just really like the fact that the AX fan turns off when at idle, not sure how much idling it will be doing with a oc'd 2500k and 7970...*sigh* decisions decisions

I have nothing against XFX but usually what i see is that people recommend cheaper units cuz there still good. Dont get me wrong Xfx is fine but IMO i would go with corsair.... i didnt know there HX line had a 7 year warrenty i thought it was 5...

Btw (assuming what i read was right) corsair underpower labels there units to meet the Gold for the Ax line so that 850 can do more check out the JonnyGuru review for it. Plus the cables look the best on the Ax if that is a concern. Plus it is fully modular which is really nice! Plus the fan doesnt spin.

My 2cs. All of those units would work though, i do belive that the 1050 is newer so it may be newer tech...

XFX is the lower-end model of the 3, and the best value. It will be more than sufficient for your planned system.

The AX 850 has gold efficiency, fully modular, and (I believe) highest quality in terms of performance out of the 3.

The HX 1050 has silver efficiency, semi-modular, and probably output quality similar to that of the XFX.1050 watts is overkill for your planned system.

XFX is the lower-end model of the 3, and the best value. It will be more than sufficient for your planned system.

The AX 850 has gold efficiency, fully modular, and (I believe) highest quality in terms of performance out of the 3.

The HX 1050 has silver efficiency, semi-modular, and probably output quality similar to that of the XFX.1050 watts is overkill for your planned system.

Overkill.. even for crossfire (eventually) 7970s overclocked and an overclocked 2500k (eventually ivybridge)?

I would get the 1050 if I was planning to tri-fire 7970s and overclock.

Which XFX are you looking at? The Core (non-modular) or the Black Edition (semi-modular)?

XFX 850W Black Edition Modular PSU not the core and not the pro, the one in the middle i guess.

All of those unit would work fine for you of course the Corsair units being better but You seem to be a xfx/asrock fan so that unit will do fine for you.

All of those unit would work fine for you of course the Corsair units being better but You seem to be a xfx/asrock fan so that unit will do fine for you.

Haha not especially, but seems this forum more than other seems to collectively dislike or like a certain brand so far as i've seen, this ofcourse is a gross generalisation, i know. :) But no one even replied to my z68 vs p67 Asrock thread :mad: :)

Am probably gona go for the AX upgrade later if necessary (but will the 1050hx be at the really good price for long...:confused:)

I'm running the hx1050 atm in my main box. i7 970 @ 4.32, 7970 xfire, lotsa fans/hd's and liquid. Its slight overkill but I got a sick deal on it, at the time, and i may throw a third 7970 in.

But, I've grown to love corsair for PSU's. I've had the gs600, tx850 and finally the hx1050. The only thing i've noticed so far with any of the above is a slight whine after shutting down for a min or so with the tx850. Like I said, no biggie though. Never a blink where stability and performance are concerned.

There's a small price difference between all three of the models you have up there, and they're all decent units, pick one :) Or if your budget is on the tight side, save some extra cash here and invest it in another component.

Haha not especially, but seems this forum more than other seems to collectively dislike or like a certain brand so far as i've seen, this ofcourse is a gross generalisation, i know. :) But no one even replied to my z68 vs p67 Asrock thread :mad: :)

Am probably gona go for the AX upgrade later if necessary (but will the 1050hx be at the really good price for long...:confused:)

Lol being honest this forum again IMO not wanting to offend but a lot of times the higher end like corsair or seasonic for example dont get recommened cuz companys like xfx or ocz offer eh similiar performance for cheaper but i honestly think Corsair and seasonic or some antec units are good plus i think CS is a HUGE deal to me so ill pay the extra for it...

Off topic but i honestly thought Z68 was a newer chipset so i would go with that. Also you do know asrock was orginally designed as a lower end Asus? Idk what it is now but i would go with Asus or Evga or Msi. For the Cs again.

Ill be honest im extremely biased toward Corsair, Evga and msi ec but Zero and Tsumi know way more then me im just based on them for 1 quality and customer service.. Again my extra 2 cents lol

I'm running the hx1050 atm in my main box. i7 970 @ 4.32, 7970 xfire, lotsa fans/hd's and liquid. Its slight overkill but I got a sick deal on it, at the time, and i may throw a third 7970 in.

But, I've grown to love corsair for PSU's. I've had the gs600, tx850 and finally the hx1050. The only thing i've noticed so far with any of the above is a slight whine after shutting down for a min or so with the tx850. Like I said, no biggie though. Never a blink where stability and performance are concerned.

There's a small price difference between all three of the models you have up there, and they're all decent units, pick one :) Or if your budget is on the tight side, save some extra cash here and invest it in another component.

Unfortunately the fatal1ty z68 from Asrock, only support 2 cards otherwise may have been tempted for a third also, may go 7990/7970 tho. So you think with all that setup you have, an 850 would have been fine?

Budget, hmm well I dont really have one, i could spend £1000 or £4000, but wont spend £4000 or £2000, i wana build a machine with best things but with value in mind. If that comes to £2000 thats fine.

Unfortunately the fatal1ty z68 from Asrock, only support 2 cards otherwise may have been tempted for a third also, may go 7990/7970 tho. So you think with all that setup you have, an 850 would have been fine?....

To be honest, i usually buy more than i need in the psu dept. I do, however, think that my tx850 could push this hardware without a problem. A third 7970 would put it over the top though. :D

Lol being honest this forum again IMO not wanting to offend but a lot of times the higher end like corsair or seasonic for example dont get recommened cuz companys like xfx or ocz offer eh similiar performance for cheaper but i honestly think Corsair and seasonic or some antec units are good plus i think CS is a HUGE deal to me so ill pay the extra for it...

Off topic but i honestly thought Z68 was a newer chipset so i would go with that. Also you do know asrock was orginally designed as a lower end Asus? Idk what it is now but i would go with Asus or Evga or Msi. For the Cs again.

Ill be honest im extremely biased toward Corsair, Evga and msi ec but Zero and Tsumi know way more then me im just based on them for 1 quality and customer service.. Again my extra 2 cents lol

Lol, made little sense, but I see what you're saying. :)

To be honest, i usually buy more than i need in the psu dept. I do, however, think that my tx850 could push this hardware without a problem. A third 7970 would put it over the top though. :D

So you have the tx850 lying around, mind shoving it in a giving a whirl...., kidding :p. So if you think 850 would do it, then i may go for the ax850 and if worse comes to worse just upgrade .

So you have the tx850 lying around, mind shoving it in a giving a whirl...., kidding :p. So if you think 850 would do it, then i may go for the ax850 and if worse comes to worse just upgrade .

I spend alot on parts already, i try not to waste too much :p It's actually in my 2500k system right now.

You'll be happy with the ax, get that one.

I can get my i5 760 + 7970 to draw 430 watts from the wall.

Mild overclocks on both.

(just random information lol)

On the AX850 - I had read that they're great power supplies but I RMA'd 3 in a row due to hideous noise under load, audible outside the case (I only have an O/C 2500k, 1xHD6970 and 1 drive - my previous PSU was a 750w Seasonic). Also only a couple of the supplied connectors are braided, the rest are ugly flat plastic things.

So yeah my experience with them was shit, not recommended. I wound up with a Silverstone Strider Gold which is lovely and quiet.

Value wise there's simply no point in buying either Corsair units, they're not well priced in EU... considering you're buying from UK, you should be looking at Strider Plus and Strider Gold unit, XFX XXX/Black Edition or Thermaltake XT units, all of them can be had at around 100 pounds(some below that), all of them offer far better value than pretty much anything else on the UK market.

FYI, part of the reason for my affection for Corsair stems from their active, friendly, and useful participation on these very boards. Redbeard and doppelgangers routinely go above and beyond. Hard not to recommend them in those circumstances.

OR we've all been brainwashed by Corsair to believe that they are THE only company to keep our precious expensive shit safe, just sayin'

So you're feeling like spending 50% more money for very little appreciable gain.

I find silence appreciable and quality the same.

But i see your point, what would you say? XFX out of running.

1050HX and not AX850?

I find silence appreciable and quality the same.

But i see your point, what would you say? XFX out of running.

1050HX and not AX850?
Why is the XFX out of the running? It's the clear choice in my opinion. Considerably less expensive than the other two units but with comparable performance and quality.

Why is the XFX out of the running? It's the clear choice in my opinion. Considerably less expensive than the other two units but with comparable performance and quality.

OK just clicked, so i believe everyone in their builds buys something that makes no sense, i think this is the one thing i'm putting in my rig that doesnt make total sense, all I can say is, i want it :D - you cant argue with that... ;)

It's your money. I'm just trying to help you understand what you're doing with it.

Back