1024x720 or 768 Plasma: 16:9?

Ouch...rectangular pixels :(

I guess that plasma makers are that famished in total pixels.

They'd be better off with 1024x580 or whatever.

Ouch...rectangular pixels :(

I guess that plasma makers are that famished in total pixels.

They'd be better off with 1024x580 or whatever.

But it wouldn't be able to resolve all 720 lines. That's seems to be what's important to folks.

There's a lot of 1080i plasma's that have 1024x1024 panles.

Guess what guys.....Samsung, Pioneer. Panasonic 1024x768 plasma panels are better than 1080 LCD's...yeah, yeah.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh :rolleyes:

Being brainwashed by the 1080 hype is no laughing matter:rolleyes:
Problems with 1080.....
Only valid within a very short distance, a distance very few people ever watch their HDTV from, as such, you're actually watching 720p, iow, your viewing distance plays a role in both HDTV and 1080.
1080 is typically available on LCD HDTV, and LCD suffer from having a backlight....this enables Plasma to boast higher contrast ratio's, black levels and superior colours.

Under no circumstance would I bother using any Plasma as a PC monitor, but they're not only the best HDTV, they're also better value.

Where does that leave overpriced and hyped 1080 LCD's....just there, overpriced and overhyped, however, they're still awesome with HDTV, PC, but they DO NOT have the best HDTV PQ

Problems with 1080.....
Only valid within a very short distance, a distance very few people ever watch their HDTV from

That's true, but higher resolution also becomes more important the larger the TV (assuming people don't just keep sitting back further and further). I have a 480p projector using a 106" screen. I sit about 12 feet away. DVD's and TV look good enough to me, but I know I'd benefit quite a lot from HD.

That's true, but higher resolution also becomes more important the larger the TV (assuming people don't just keep sitting back further and further). I have a 480p projector using a 106" screen. I sit about 12 feet away. DVD's and TV look good enough to me, but I know I'd benefit quite a lot from HD.

I think the proper viewing distance for a 52inch 1080 is something like 2.3 meters....how many people would actually sit that close?
Another thing, even if you're sitting close enough, the full impact of 1080's res on a small screen{40-50inch} doesn't exactly blow one's mind.
If you're sitting 3-4mtrs back, then a good 768 will do the job fine.

I agree with you that as screen size increases then resolution should follow.

Under no circumstance would I bother using any Plasma as a PC monitor, but they're not only the best HDTV, they're also better value.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I've been thinking about choosing plasma over lcd mostly because of black levels. However, I will be hooking it up to a pc just to watch movies.

Is the reason you wouldn't use it as a monitor because of the resolution or because it doesn't look good when connected to a pc? I will be using it strictly for watching movies.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I've been thinking about choosing plasma over lcd mostly because of black levels. However, I will be hooking it up to a pc just to watch movies.

Is the reason you wouldn't use it as a monitor because of the resolution or because it doesn't look good when connected to a pc? I will be using it strictly for watching movies.

Mostly becuase text looks like shit on rectangular pixels especially with scaling..

Mostly becuase text looks like shit on rectangular pixels especially with scaling..

I was mainly concerned with screen burn....I'm sure someone will jump in and tell me that burn in is a thing of the past, but I'm just not sure that's true.
The better panels do have a number of counter-measures, but in my lowly opinion, I'd stick with LCD in this case.

I

You're probably American, so NTSC is 720x480.....so if you've got a good SDTV signal, you'll agree that DVD or SDTV looks pretty good on CRT's up to 32inches in size right?.....well 1024x768 is nearly twice as many pixels, but a 42 isn't twice as big as a 32, IOW, YOU HAVE A BUCKETLOAD OF EXTRA HDTV PIXELS.....so don't worry about pixels on 42inch screens{or 50's 1366x768}.

I'm not saying 1080's resolution isn't the best, but it's certainly over-rated on screens up to 50inches, and also, if you're sitting too far back, you won't even be able to resolve the extra detail.

1080's res would be heaps better for text on a large LCD, but it will most likely be worse for DVD and low res DIVX videos because of the scaling.

Don't make asinine comments about not being able to distinguish between 720p and 1080p because I can EASILY tell the difference. 720p looks like CRAP to me.

1080p doesn't matter at far distance? Well, Einstein, 720p doesn't matter at far distance either because it looks just like DVD when viewed far enough! :rolleyes:

As a computer monitor, 1024x720 is an absolute joke, so don't try to tell us computer users how your precious plasma is superior. Thanks for thread-crapping with your polemical nonsense though :rolleyes:

Don't make asinine comments about not being able to distinguish between 720p and 1080p because I can EASILY tell the difference. 720p looks like CRAP to me.

:rolleyes:

You really are quite stupid aren't you.
Listen bubblehead....anyone, not just me, can go and view 1080p content from 1.8mtrs or 3mtrs, on each occasion, both will look excellent, however[and despite your BS}, at 3mtrs you're no longer able to resolve 1080's resolution.....this is COMMON KNOWLEDGE AMONGST THOSE THAT ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT HDTV.

Btw, the reason 720p looks like crap to you is either because you were too stoopid to buy a highly spec-ed HDTV, or the 720p is actually SDTV upscaled.....but native 720p is excellent PQ on most screen sizes, and if the scaling is effective, then it's also fine on very large HDTV.

Btwx2 stoopid, I advised against using the plasma as a PC.....did you miss that you LCD obsessed nutjob.
LMAO, you really are clueless, yet like the rabid fanboi that you are, you leap to the rescue of the target of all your affection....hey, ever thought of getting a girlfriend and lavish her with some attention, LMAOX2.

Guess what guys.....Samsung, Pioneer. Panasonic 1024x768 plasma panels are better than 1080 LCD's...yeah, yeah.

uh, this is 105% true. I sell high end tv's. putting the best sharp 46" next to the best samsung 40" next to a beginning of the line panasonic plasma 700 series 42", next to a 54" sharp, next to a top of the line dlp samsung 50".... all 1080p brand new except the panasonic.
the panasonic is incredibly much clearer and more colour accurate no matter what settings I choose. it just isnt clearer and more accurate than those, it is actually, on its own, perfectly clear, sharp, photo-like at a normal distance, and, half the price.

lcd's for tv's = suck above 32"

computer usage at all? lcd's destroy plasma's, but that everyone knows because of the massive difference between synthetic images like a page of text or a video game vs. real life images.

My Panasonic 1024x768 plasma can run 1080i and 720p fine with my HTPC through HDMI. I watch HD-DVD/Blu Ray 720p x.264 re-encodes and they look great.

uh, this is 105% true. I sell high end tv's. the panasonic is incredibly much clearer and more colour accurate no matter what settings I choose. it just isnt clearer and more accurate than those, it is actually, on its own, perfectly clear, sharp, photo-like at a normal distance, and, half the price.

Yep, this is what people have a hard time believing, especially the part where you pump HD-DVD/BD thru a plasma and it's still better than 1080 LCD.
That said, the best 1080 LCD{probablly Samsung atm} does produce awesome PQ for proper hi signal strength HDTV.

The jump in pixels from DVD/SDTV to 1024/1366x768 is MASSIVE, especially on screens up to 50inches, so other factors like contrast ratio{a plasma strongpoint} come into play.

Hooking it up to a HTPC isn't the same as using it as a monitor...it will be fine. And yes, you have the right idea about plasma being the current king for tv/movie watching. I would only consider getting a lcdtv if I were going to use it for a pc monitor...but then again I don't see the point of a giant screen for that. The reason plasmas aren't the best for hooking up to a pc is because of 2 reasons..up until recently most panels were 720p which isn't ideal but now 1080p models are available. The second reason is the chance for burn-in from taskbars and icons...but this can be minimized by docking all of these items and generally using common sense..many people use plasmas for this without issue. I have a 42" Panny plasma that I've used for console gaming for 4 years now with no problems..

Back