100mb port on 300mb wifi ?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Does it really matter if a device has a 100mbps eth port when it is capable of 300mbps wifi N?

I mean wifi is half duplex anyways, so that means a real max cap of 150mbps realistic throughput overall and techincally wifi sucks ass anyways so you probably wont even come close to 300 will you?

Im not a big wifi junkie. I set it up all the time but never actually looked into cheaper devices with slower eth ports.

you wont ever see 300mbps wifi speeds anyways or even 150.

now when you say 100mbps eth port you mean WAN or LAN...

if you connect via cables systems to the LAN ports, it will be faster than Wifi.

While a single system connecting to an AP could come close to saturating that 100meg Ethernet port, if you have 5-6 systems connecting to it, that will slow down quite a bit. If all they're doing is accessing the Internet, probably not a big deal; if they're going to be accessing larger files on the network, that could be a real bottleneck.

While a single system connecting to an AP could come close to saturating that 100meg Ethernet port, if you have 5-6 systems connecting to it, that will slow down quite a bit. If all they're doing is accessing the Internet, probably not a big deal; if they're going to be accessing larger files on the network, that could be a real bottleneck.

Only internet access. Nothing more. And some games.

I am not trying to spend 200+ on an AP just to access internet. Heck I am running like $6K + in wired gear, look at my sig haha. Enough is enough lol I gotta go cheap on wifi.

I was looking at some AP from Microcenter by Trendnet and TP Link for like $39.00

This one looks nice and can even VLAN with extra SSID, what do you guys think? Even comes with a POE injector, but I could just skip the injector and run it right off of my ASA 5505.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366202

Using WiFi n at 300 mbps would use up 41% of the 2.4GHz bandwidth that you are sharing with every WiFi b device, WiFi g device, WiFi n device, Bluetooth device, microwave oven, remote control, and cordless phone within range. In other words, not gonna happen unless you live in an extremely unurbanized area. Like deep bush Alaska. Or Antarctica.

Using the 5.8GHz version of WiFi N may fare somewhat better, but you still have to share.

5.4 only screws other 2.4 people around you as well. your betetr off using a 2.4Ghz channel that others around you are not using.

I mean wifi is half duplex anyways, so that means a real max cap of 150mbps realistic throughput
Umm, what? Perhaps you mean 150Mbps throughput in any direction _if both directions are active at the same time_.

Yeah thats ywhat i mean. In a labaratory anyways cause i have never seen wifi come close to max speed.

Well closest was with asus rtn66u before i returned it. That was the best wifi for home use i have seen short of going to unifi or cisco enterprise.

Last edited:
So I got this TP-Link AP for $39.00 from microcenter...

umm this thing works great.

The 802.1q VLAN tagging works fantastic with my Cisco gear and the multiple SSID, each assigned to its own respective VLAN is awesome. This thing can even ping a common gateway and if it stops detecing a ping it will reboot. Based on settings you place.

For $40.00 I have to say this one darn spiffy Access Port.

That's pretty sweet. I do the same thing with DD-WRT firmware. My recommendation would have been a refurb Linksys which you can pick up for around $60.

Does it support WPA2-Enterprise, and can the different SSID have different (or none) security?

That's pretty sweet. I do the same thing with DD-WRT firmware. My recommendation would have been a refurb Linksys which you can pick up for around $60.

Does it support WPA2-Enterprise, and can the different SSID have different (or none) security?

No on enterprise and yes on multiple security and different security protocols.

I am not running enterprise. I have no need for it and in my research I decided I would not need it also as I am not running a Radius server nor a domain in my home environment and have no need to.

Back