~$100ish 2.1 setup suggestions?

Knuit

Gawd
So I have an old Logitech 5.1 system that stopped working, so I'm in the market for a new set of speakers. My current configuration is a little awkward for setting up 5.1 so I'm looking for a 2.1 setup.

I have an Auzentech Forte, but it's been acting up, I'm thinking a grounding problem with my case, so I've been using my onboard for the time being.

I'd rather not spend more than $150, and have been looking at the Logitech Z623.

Any suggestions?

Swan M10

I've seen no one that prefers a logitech set at the same price. That being said, they do have a reputation for being bass light, but in honesty I don't think you'll find anything close to accurate heavy hitting bass without a separate sub of your entire budget (and then of course the skys the limit in audio, but I do think the dayton sub 80 is the starting point).

You could instead get the popular and just within budget M-Audio AV40 and add a sub later. That would probably be my path in your shoes (and indeed was the one I followed back in college).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I second the Swan M10, I had them before I got my current Infinity P153/Sony SS F6000 5.1 setup. Great desktop speaker set for the budget oriented or space limited.

If you keep an eye out you can pick up a set of Logitech z2300 2.1 speakers for 100ish (Amazon has some right now) and they just ran a promotion for the Z623 system for 107 shipped at Newegg.

For the price they aren't terrible (you get gobs of bass) but they are far from what you would get if you went to a higher price point. IMO I'd save your money and pick up the Corsair SP2500 (may want to wait until it's on sale) as it's awesome for 2.1 especially if you do gaming.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I ended up buying the M-Audio AV40 off of Amazon, they should be coming in tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how I like them.

I do generally game with headphones, I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 that I really like.

Well, the speakers came in yesterday, and they sound amazing.

Thanks

a friend of mine is looking for <$200 powered bookshelves do you recomend them? how is the soundstage?

Back