100hz LCD TV to PC via HDMI - Questions

Jimb0

n00b
Hello, I'm in the market to purchase a nice new LCD TV to replace my Dell 2007WFP and have a few questions if someone would be so kind.

As I understand it, LCD TV's produced for certain markets which feature an internal 100hz refresh rate accomplish this by generating "fake" or "artificial" intermediate frames, rather than actually accepting a 100hz source, such as could be provided by a 100hz capable videocard in a PC.

I also believe that we in New Zealand have 100hz rather than 120hz capable LCD TVs due to our using the PAL video format, which refreshes at 50z, rather than NTSC at 60hz.

This then would make me assume that for the 100hz "fake frame" technique to function, the source would need to be a common multiple of 100, which leads me to my main question:

What happens when a 100hz LCD TV is connected to a PC via HDMI providing a 60hz signal?

Since 60hz is no longer a common multiple of 100, do moving images on a 100hz LCD TV connected to a PC still possess the smoothness associated with 100hz TVs?

Also, if you were playing content on your PC at a strange frame rate, say for example a PC videogame getting 32fps, how would the 100hz "fake frame" technique deal with this? Would it generate a huge number of intermediate frames to cope?

As you can see I'm quite confused and I'm not even gonna try putting such a question to a salesman in a shop, as I'm sure he would be clueless.

you would turn off the frame interpolation for pc use.

if your standard is 50hz, i dont know why your computer wouldnt be capable of outputting it too.

output 50hz

For videogames(and most everything IMO) you would turn frame interpolation off, as it will artifact and generally look like ass.

They had transformers blu-ray going on a samsung LED backlit at the local bestbuy, god the artifacts were horrible. Not sure how that would attract customers.

The new tech is to just insert a solid black frame to trick the eye rather than try to process the images, so some of the newer high end TV's are coming with BFI/DFI (black/dark field/frame insertion). The black frame forces the eye to reset and perceive motion much more smoothly than anything they've tried before now.

As said above, you would need to send the signal to the monitor at 50Hz for a 100hz set, or for us in the U.S. 60Hz for the 120 or 240 Hz sets.

Back