Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I think its not too far off topic.
Ok, so here's an odd one for you. When I originally created my Windows Partition on my new computer I somehow managed to make the computer install on only 130gigs of my 250gig hard drive. This leaves about 100 gigs floating in the land of binary oblivion (or as near as I can tell). This might sound like a simple fix, but believe me if it is, I don't know how to do it.
My first thought was that my computer had simply made a small 130gig partition. This is NOT the case. My computer honestly believes that my hard drive is 250gigs in size. It also honestly believes that 100gigs of space are simply being used. In reality about 4gigs of space is being used. So every time I go to resize the partition I get a message saying there is no available space. It is almost as if my hard drive had managed to create a secret partition but that doesn't seem right either since it recognizes the C: drive is 250gigs in size. Now I am positive that if I reformat I can recover the full 250gigs of space. However, I would then need to install Windows XP, drivers, and a ton of security patches to get back to my current level. I rather not do that.
I read that a Linux Live CD should be able to resize a partition (and its free). But this avenue is probably closed off to me. The latest version of Knoppix (5.01) will <u>NOT</u> boot on my computer. It gives some message about being unable to find a file system which is annoying. I'm going to give Simply MEPIS a try since a tutorial recommended it but I do not have high hopes.
My system is as follows:
Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo
Two 250GB SATA 3 HDs
ATI x1900xt 512mb
Couple of optical drives and a floppy
2 GBs of RAM
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard
Any advice on how to recover that space without reformatting would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I think its not too far off topic.
Ok, so here's an odd one for you. When I originally created my Windows Partition on my new computer I somehow managed to make the computer install on only 130gigs of my 250gig hard drive. This leaves about 100 gigs floating in the land of binary oblivion (or as near as I can tell). This might sound like a simple fix, but believe me if it is, I don't know how to do it.
My first thought was that my computer had simply made a small 130gig partition. This is NOT the case. My computer honestly believes that my hard drive is 250gigs in size. It also honestly believes that 100gigs of space are simply being used. In reality about 4gigs of space is being used. So every time I go to resize the partition I get a message saying there is no available space. It is almost as if my hard drive had managed to create a secret partition but that doesn't seem right either since it recognizes the C: drive is 250gigs in size. Now I am positive that if I reformat I can recover the full 250gigs of space. However, I would then need to install Windows XP, drivers, and a ton of security patches to get back to my current level. I rather not do that.
I read that a Linux Live CD should be able to resize a partition (and its free). But this avenue is probably closed off to me. The latest version of Knoppix (5.01) will <u>NOT</u> boot on my computer. It gives some message about being unable to find a file system which is annoying. I'm going to give Simply MEPIS a try since a tutorial recommended it but I do not have high hopes.
My system is as follows:
Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo
Two 250GB SATA 3 HDs
ATI x1900xt 512mb
Couple of optical drives and a floppy
2 GBs of RAM
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard
Any advice on how to recover that space without reformatting would be greatly appreciated.