1000w Psu!!!

looks nice, but surely is a huge waste of money for todays computers. No one will ever need 1000W anytime in the near future.

DAMN!!!!!! read the label on the side of the one in their pic? 4, 12v rails, 2 @ 18A, 2 @ 16A, totaling 66A of power on the 12v rails!!! I could actualy come up with a use for this PSU.... power 3 PC's off of one PSU!!!

I read about that on some Quakecon site report.......future proofing is a stupid statement to make. I mean that thing should last forever. too bad there are always new connectors..

TVersetti said:
I read about that on some Quakecon site report.......future proofing is a stupid statement to make. I mean that thing should last forever. too bad there are always new connectors..
yup...before anyone will ever needs 1000watts of juicy juice there will be atx 3.0 or sumthing like that

Sheese, why not just two 12v lines with something like 30amps each. Cant run a peltier on a mere 18amps. Guess one could run two 12v rails to it, one rail for system, two for cpu pelt, and one for gpu pelt. How much is this thing btw?

Maybe no one will need a 1000W power supply soon, but Alienware felt their Aurora ALX system could use one. The Aurora ALX system I have came with an PC P&C 850W SSI power supply. I think it is a little much, but it feels nice to know the power is there if I need it. :)

For reference, my main rig (Mightymouse³) uses dual 550W power supplies, so I guess that adds up to 1100W of power in one case, but I guess I am using 2 computers... :) 3 computers doesnt seem too far fetched...

Dual Dual core Opterons
Dual 7800GTX
Plus 10 HDDs

I could use it in the foreseeable future...I'm already at 8 hdds, 1 7800GTX, and dual single core Opterons. I think I'm a little too close to the 510CL1's threshold...but, honestly, I'm more likely to switch to a different system (MountainMods?) that supports 2 PSUs)

Just watch. This is nvidias arguement for using more power. (Todays psus can handle 200w per gpu!!)

1000W at what temperatures? Enercrack likes to test their PSUs in a room that feels not unlike Alaska in winter. Meaning in a real system, you get maybe 700-750W if you're lucky.
Besides, I can get 1650W in a space just a bit longer than a PC Power & Cooling 850SLI. No joke; three Etasis modules at 550W each. Common quad Opteron setup. (Actually, pretty much everyone is using the Etasis modules.)
http://www.etasis.com.tw/cgi-bin/pr...5=Active&key2=EFRP3553&action=searchdbdisplay
(That's the N+1 Reg'd version. There's also a N+0 OEM configuration which is usually limited to 1500W.)

skudmunky said:
hey, i can finally power my USB table saw!

(wow that article made me laugh)
Yeah, you can power a table saw off of one USB port, but to power my USB arc welder i need 2 USB ports :D

Let's see 1,000 watts minus Enermax finagle factor = maybe 600 watts peak at normal PC operating temps. Sounds like not much better than my PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 SLI for a hell of a lot less $$. ;)

1000Watts does the word "Why" come to anyones mind.
I counldnt even try to justify a 1000Watt PSU can u just imagine the price.

LOL @ the USB Table Saw :D:D

Whats ironic about futureproofing is that semiconductors are consuming less and less power as time goes on. Next year with 65nm, we'll see a huge drop in power consumption for Intel machines (they'll start consuming as much power as a K8 system). 90nm for GPU's will also cut down power needs. Enermax is silly.

Connectors changing are no problem. Nothing a good pinout, wire cutters, new connector(s), soldering iron, and soldering won't fix!

Back