1000base Gbics...(LC connector)

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Anyone have a good source for these? I'd like to play around with them in my switch and don't want to spend $50-$100 ea.

These should be cross compatible across switches, correct? I'm trying to hook up a cisco SRW2008MP and an HP 1910-16G.

Ebay. You can buy off-lease ones for cheap. They are often compatible across switches, but check your switch compatibility first.

Ebay is your friend....

Yeah, these are in the UK but I`m sure you can get the same in the US.

In my experience, yes they are cross compatible, I`ve used Ciscos in HP`s and HP`s and Cisco`s in TP-Link Media Converters.

I`m sure the manufacturer of your kit would whinge if you needed to RMA a switch or something and told them you`d used another manufacturers kit but what they don`t know etc etc...

I got 2 shipped for 15 bucks off eBay. They work great. Got my fibre patch cables from Monoprice. $40 bucks to play with fibre between switches.

I got 2 shipped for 15 bucks off eBay. They work great. Got my fibre patch cables from Monoprice. $40 bucks to play with fibre between switches.

Thanks I'll have a look at monoprice for the cables as well.

I was thinking (if this works as I expect) to wire a basement switch to second floor switch via fiber to avoid electrical interference if I run the fiber along the same path as electrical conduit.

I have no experience in wiring. Is this a common setup or is there a better/easier/cheaper/way to do this?

Update: Bought 4 of these from Ebay for $3 ea. shipped. Worked fine in my netgear/dell switches. Don't work in my procurve (1910-16G) and Linksys (SRW-2008MP) switches.

What a pita...

I picked up 45 MM SFP Gigabit adapters on eBay a week ago, I've only used 4 but they work great in the pro connect switches and the net gear that I have. I have heard that some of the newer Cisco gear is picky about non Cisco sfps

I picked up 45 MM SFP Gigabit adapters on eBay a week ago, I've only used 4 but they work great in the pro connect switches and the net gear that I have. I have heard that some of the newer Cisco gear is picky about non Cisco sfps

@klank: Which HP switch do you have?

Back