$1000 Lab Budget

jlbenedict

2[H]4U
Looking to have about $1000 (+/- $50) to budget for some equipment to setup a lab. Primary purposes would be to lab for MCSA/MCSE exams, "production" file/media server, and would like minimum of two hosts, to set up a VMware HA cluster.

My current hardware/lab isn't quite up to even modest standards, and I've been debating on whether to use my budgeted funds to upgrade the hardware to get the lab up to a reasonable level of usability.

I currently have (3) HP Z200 workstations, unfortunately, only possessing 4gb of memory each.
They are LGA1156 based, dual core with two of them having Intel i3-530's (2.93 ghz) and the other one having an i3-540 (3.06 ghz). The maximum amount of memory these supposedly support is 16GB (4x4).
Also have a Lenovo ix2 network storage device, that supports NFS and iSCSI protocols. Its not exactly a speed demon, with only 1 gb lan port, and it currently has two 2tb WD Green drives.

So, the one option is to upgrade the memory on all the hosts; turn one into a storage server, and upgrade the networking on my lab environment. Cons of this are, the HP's are warranty exhausted; hardware is proprietary. So, if I lose a power supply, I can't just throw a regular ATX power supply in it.

Another option is to make due with the Lenovo ix2, and setup an Intel NUC lab.. This would sip power.. Cons are only one networking port, per node, and memory upgradability.

I've also priced out two whiteboxes, and it appears I could put together two, FX-6300 based hosts, with 32gb of ram for under $500 a piece. Could squeeze in a small SSD for each host , and run less IO influenced VM's from the Lenovo (domain controllers, etc)..

Then, there is the Dell 6105 option. I love the price of this, but I've read a few horror stories about bad firmwares, IPMI, etc.. the prices are definitely right on this.. The cons though, as from what I understand, that the cloud servers are custom type of proprietary hardware and there is not much support.
Price is right though, as I could pick up two complete servers, in addition to getting a barebones or two for spare parts for well within my budget.

Then, the last option I was looking at were something in the Dell R610 or R710 line.. Or possibly setting up an AIO type of server, and run nested virtualization.

Just really trying to get a good idea of getting the OPTIMAL use out of my $1000 budget.

Those Lenovo NASes are really shitty. With 2 WD Greens you will able to run 2, maybe 3 VMs at a decent speed. Anymore than that and it's brutally slow. If you went with SSDs you could easily run a dozen VMs with no real issue.

A couple C1100s off eBay would suit you well and depending on shipping costs, you may have a bit left over for SSDs.

How many VMs and of what is the qty count for each OS you plan on running? Any other programs like SQL that you plan on running?

Do you live near a Microcenter? If so, you can get an AMD FX-6300 and motherboard for $89.99. Get the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 which supports 32GB RAM.

Another expense will be getting supported NICs for your VMware hosts. Dual port Intel NICs can be had for $40 or less on ebay.

Do you have cases and PSUs you can use for the new hosts and USB sticks to install VMware on? If so, that'd be $240-$340 per host depending on how much RAM you want (16GB vs 32GB per host).

How many drive slots do those workstations have? With the leftover money you could get one more dual port Gb NIC and a 500GB SSD. Install FreeNAS, Windows with Starwind, etc. and share out that SSD as shared storage and you're done.

$340 per host x 2 = $680
$40 for dual port NIC on workstation
$180 for 500GB SSD

$900 total

How many VMs and of what is the qty count for each OS you plan on running? Any other programs like SQL that you plan on running?
Hard to count, as a hard count.. but..
I'm looking at home "production" (24x7 operation)
File/Media Server
FTP server/torrent download host
Two Windows 7 clients (for the wife to use, for her couponing and surveys.. love the features of reverting back to a snapshot, when spyware gets out of hand :D )

"Non-production" , tinker user, lab use:
Enough VM's to prep for MCSE
SCCM (& Endpoint) (I use 2012 R2 at my current place of employment)
SQL Server
Exchange Server
Web Server

Do you live near a Microcenter? If so, you can get an AMD FX-6300 and motherboard for $89.99. Get the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 which supports 32GB RAM.

Another expense will be getting supported NICs for your VMware hosts. Dual port Intel NICs can be had for $40 or less on ebay.

Do you have cases and PSUs you can use for the new hosts and USB sticks to install VMware on? If so, that'd be $240-$340 per host depending on how much RAM you want (16GB vs 32GB per host).

How many drive slots do those workstations have? With the leftover money you could get one more dual port Gb NIC and a 500GB SSD. Install FreeNAS, Windows with Starwind, etc. and share out that SSD as shared storage and you're done.

$340 per host x 2 = $680
$180 for 500GB SSD

$900 total

Nearest Micro Center is about an hour (Towson/Baltimore location).
Currently I do not have any hardware, such as cases, PSU's, etc.
The 3 Z200's will support 16 GB, max, 4 slots..
They have 3 PCI slots; 3 PCIe x1 slots and 1 PCIe x16
1 onboard NIC
5 SATA ports
I do have three 8gb USB Sandisk low profile Cruzer fit drives..
Two 2 TB WD Greens (in the Lenovo ix2 NAS)
One 2tb Seagate drive I popped out of an external
Two 1tb Toshiba 2.5" externals
Two Cisco Express 500 switches (I believe these are only 10/100, so these are most likely junk)

Let me see what I might have that may help you out. I will look in the early AM and send you a pm.

ex-iomega ones i guess ((

we also never had any success with iomega/lenovo: lock-ups with scsi reservations with hyper-v then used for ip surveillance with bosch iscsi cctv but also w/out success - dropped frames and jerky performance

+1 to roll-your-own storage box

something like dell r720 from xbyte can be very cheap

+ freebsd/opensuse

Those Lenovo NASes are really shitty. With 2 WD Greens you will able to run 2, maybe 3 VMs at a decent speed. Anymore than that and it's brutally slow. If you went with SSDs you could easily run a dozen VMs with no real issue.

A couple C1100s off eBay would suit you well and depending on shipping costs, you may have a bit left over for SSDs.

i'd replace freeness with a plain vanilla freebsd (or opensuse if you're on the dark side of the moon)

not sure why you want to run starwind on a dedicated hardware (waste windows desktop license? use free hyper-v server?) if hyper-converged setup with it provides fault tolerance and is free of charge completely now?

+ not a big fan of amd cpus anymore ((

$340 per host x 2 = $680
$180 for 500GB SSD

$900 total

Back