• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$100 SSD?

IceDogg

n00b
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
49
So, my birthday is coming up and I'd like to get a small SSD for myself. Mostly for Windows and essential programs. I have $100 I'd like to spend, nothing too major. My current system specs are:

Q6600
ASUS P5K Deluxe P35
4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR1066
EVGA 8800 Ultra
Corsair 650HX

I'm not as up to date on SSDs as most people, so I figured I'd better ask here. I found a Corsair 60gb for $80 and was wondering if it'd be a good buy?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-2-5-I...5RA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317156721&sr=8-1

My SATA ports are pretty much all used up since I have many hard drives. However, I have a few unused eSATA. I was wondering if you can use eSATA as a boot drive with an SSD?

If I don't go the SSD route I was thinking about getting a video card upgrade. I don't have the money to update my entire system sadly. I mostly play SC2, WoW, Counterstrike, L4D, Dirt 2, Bad Company 2, games like those. Thanks for your help guys.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Crucial M4 64gb - $99 Just got one myself.
If you need more space Intel G2 80gb I also own these, they are great.
 
second the M4 for current gen specs, however the G2 80gb if you are hurting for space, both are great drives.
 
Put one of your HDD on the eSATA, not the SSD, eSATA (real eSATA, not a derivation of an internal SATA) is usually implemented with cheap controllers, destroying SSD performance.
 
I'd watch out for one of the 120/128gb deals on an SSD if you can handle ~$130 (may require rebate). Fry's has the older 9but still decent for your system) Kingston 128gb V100 for $125 AR but that ad came out Friday so they may be sold out.
 
[LYL]Homer;1037807393 said:
I'd watch out for one of the 120/128gb deals on an SSD if you can handle ~$130 (may require rebate). Fry's has the older 9but still decent for your system) Kingston 128gb V100 for $125 AR but that ad came out Friday so they may be sold out.

That SSD also does not compare to the Intel G2 or the M4!
 
Back
Top