100% random hardlocks - even after replacing everything

beatle

n00b
I've had a problem that's been plaguing my computer for months. The computer will randomly (no pattern or event will trigger this) hardlock and I will be forced to reboot. I've replaced the following:

Motherboard
CPU
PSU
RAM
Video card
Sound card

I've reformatted and reloaded Windows several times. I've run Memtest without errors, and Prime will not error out (though the computer will occasionally lock if I run it long enough). I can be playing a game, watching a movie, browsing the web, listening to music, encoding video, or be away from my computer entirely. It has locked under all of these circumstances. Temperatures are normal (upper 30s to mid 40s) and my voltages are great. I have tried running with no PCI cards in the system and it will still lock. The only constants that remain are my hard drives and my floppy drive. Everything else has been replaced or the computer has been run without before crashing.

I frequent Anandtech, but I know there are some very knowledgeable people here as well, so I figured I'd explore every option. My previous http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=1463590&enterthread=y has a lot more dialogue, but I've tried to summarize it here.

I really have no idea what could be causing the problem at this point after replacing virtually everything. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd try a different hard drive, thats about the only option left, and I have had a hard drive cause lock ups, right before it started causing random BSOD's then finally it just stopped altogether and gave me the click of death. :(

I'd run a good diagnostics software package through your HD. Preferably the one that your HD manufacturer creates. Like Data Lifeguard Tools v10 or whatever is newest if your have a Western Digital.

Could also be a driver conflict.

drivers..yes..could be that

format! :p

or just find a different HDD to install windows on and see if you get lockups then.

if you dont then its a HDD or software problem

Wow, 4 views and 3 replies (and I think one of those views was me ;)). Thanks. I do have an extra hard drive that I can try. I've run my Raptor through the gamut of diagnostic tools that WD has. It passed with no errors. I'd never heard of a drive hardlocking an entire system before. Is this just something I'm unaware of or are you just suggesting it because it's the last piece of hardware left? :)

As a side note, anyone know why I don't receive email notification despite being subscribed to this topic?

Yes.. I have had a hard drive cause me lockups before. Kind of irritating when it happens.. but not all hardware is perfect... :rolleyes:

About the email notification on your post... when you first create the thread.. At the bottom of the page, there is a section of options. The middle options is: Thread Subscription Notification Type: with a dropdown box of how you want to be notified. By default it is set to no notification. Changed that on your next post and you're in luck.

I'd say the HDD too.

Same thing happened to me, I just reseated the HDD plugs and haven't had a problem since.

I forgot to reregister my domain. I'm not receiving any email from anyone right now. :mad:

Another possible culpret would be the quality of your AC power. Try running it on a line condition or a UPS w/ AVR and see if that helps.

I highly highly suspect a hard drive related problem, like others.
Check the molex power connector going to the drive.
Check the SATA cable going to the drive.
If either is loose or damaged, windows will lock up like crazy.

I've worked on a machine that had the same problem you're having, and it was all caused by flaky wiring going to the molex power connector connected to the hard drive. The 12v yellow wire had pulled out of the crimped conection.

Well, I put in a brand new drive and ide cable, pulled my 250GB Maxtor and Raptor out of the system, and reinstalled Windows on the new drive. I was up to over 2 days of uptime when it crashed again.

My computer IS on a line conditioning UPS (APC BackUPS Pro 1100). I also have a server attached to this UPS that never, ever crashes.

beatle said:
Well, I put in a brand new drive and ide cable, pulled my 250GB Maxtor and Raptor out of the system, and reinstalled Windows on the new drive. I was up to over 2 days of uptime when it crashed again.

My computer IS on a line conditioning UPS (APC BackUPS Pro 1100). I also have a server attached to this UPS that never, ever crashes.

I had a machine that would randomly lockup. Ended up being a short from the mobo to the case. you might want to try running you system out side the case on something non conductive that also wont build up a static charge. Don't use a silver anti static bag as those are conductive.

I called Asus last week. The tech was completely baffled. I'm going to RMA the board and continue to cross my fingers. :(

Back