100-ft CAT 5 ethernet cable.

user001

Weaksauce
I'm thinking of buying a 100-ft CAT 5 ethernet cable and I was just wondering if I would get signal or bandwidth lost if I bought a cable that long.

I bought a super cantenna and it just isn't helping improve my signal or anything.

I've given up on wireless.

You shouldn't have any problems distance wise; cat 5 is good for up to 100 meters.

There's no such thing as perfect. 100 ft. is roughly 1/3rd of a meter so it should be fine. The worse thing you can get is a minor bump in latency (1-5 ms). Make sure you bend the ethernet at 90 degree should you put them around corners or walls - myth or not, it seems to output cleaner speed.

-J.

GeForceX said:
There's no such thing as perfect. 100 ft. is roughly 1/3rd of a meter so it should be fine. The worse thing you can get is a minor bump in latency (1-5 ms). Make sure you bend the ethernet at 90 degree should you put them around corners or walls - myth or not, it seems to output cleaner speed.

-J.

Correction: 1Ft is 1/3 of 1 Meter.

As for bends, the 90º bend is NOT a good idea, thats why there are minimum bend radius wire guides available. In reality the bend is not critical anyway.

As for will you get a good signal with 100 FT, YES; Businesses typically run over 500 feet cables in overheads and under floors between switch rooms and workstations with no detriment to performance or stability. Just use quality cable.

100 foot is nothing for CAT5 as long as it's a good cable. I've personally made runs a little over 400 ft. (out of spec) and it worked fine, with barely any higher latency (1-2 ms higher), no packet loss, or any other problems.

GeForceX said:
Make sure you bend the ethernet at 90 degree should you put them around corners or walls - myth or not, it seems to output cleaner speed.

-J.

Bends at extreme angles are bad for high speed signaling. They cause reflections and signal degredation.

I put in several runs of over 100ft in my folks house and it works great. They are snaking thru walls with wires and on top of flouresent lights and around power outlets.....works fine since I got the shielded stuff.

I don't think I need 100 ft actually but I still might. I'll probably just go with 50 ft.

Oh, what's that difference between CAT 5 and CAT 6?

Cat 6 has more twists per foot for better signal (noise) rejection to allow reliable operation at 1 GB/S.

ive got a 100ft cable runnin through my house to my room, and i have absolutely no issues.

go to belkin, and then, at the shopping cart, stick in the coupon code '12345' and get 50% off everything in your cart. :cool:

blackrino9 said:
Holy monkey balls, that coupon works!!!!

TSS Modder, you are my hero.
and, blackrino9, you are welcome. :cool:

enjoy, fellas! almost everything there can be used w/ that coupon. happy shopping! (some late geek christmas shopping ;) )

blackrino9 said:
Holy monkey balls, that coupon works!!!!

TSS Modder, you are my hero.

That's one of the oldest coupons in the book. I'm surprised you didn't know about it. Helped me buy my UPS earlier in the year.

Aww they don't have 100 ft length. I kinda just decided to get that instead.

Well, I hope 50 ft will do.

And the coupon worked. Thanks.

user001 said:
Aww they don't have 100 ft length. I kinda just decided to get that instead.

Well, I hope 50 ft will do.

And the coupon worked. Thanks.
different colors have diff lengths. they definately have 100 foot cables. try gray, at least. theres probably more.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yes they do have 100 foot cables... :rolleyes: try the gray cable...

the belkins are 50% off using the coupon... thats they theyre special....

IMHO, nothing. It's just a brand name. I recommend trying to find an electrical supplier near you. Most of them sell datacom products at very decent prices. I buy patch cables cheaper than I could make them.

Just my 2 cents,
Jeff

BBA said:

As for bends, the 90º bend is NOT a good idea, thats why there are minimum bend radius wire guides available. In reality the bend is not critical anyway.

As for will you get a good signal with 100 FT, YES; Businesses typically run over 500 feet cables in overheads and under floors between switch rooms and workstations with no detriment to performance or stability. Just use quality cable.

Man, I must've been that tired last night. God.

How I got 100 ft... no idea...

90 degrees angles probably fit for multimedia/speaker wires then - not cabling. I should've known.

Apologies.

-J.

BBA said:

I do alot of professional cabling for a living....many many many different business....none would ever accept a 500 foot run. 320 max.

If you want a 100' Cable I'll make you one for $14+shipping USPS Priority. I'll put it together with yellow cable and blue boots.

Maybe that will save you some trouble and money. If you're interested just PM me.

GeForceX said:
The worse thing you can get is a minor bump in latency (1-5 ms).
Velocity of propagation of Cat5 is usually ~.65c. Even at the max spec limit of 100 meters that's still only 0.0005 ms. Unless your cable comes bundled with temporal distorions I don't see how you could meet your claims.

The 100m spec is for solid core too. The cables the OP is looking at is likely stranded core.

Back