• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$100 for a Disk Drive - Suggestion

Chelica

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
2,698
Hello,

I am upgrading my Disk Drive because I am going to be setting up my Main Rig as a semi HTPC. Will be throwing in a PVR150 when they are back in stock. But in any case, I will be needing a 2nd Hard Drive for storage basically (MP3, TV Recordings, Saved Mails, and important documents)

I used to have 2x80GB Seagate IDE 7200RPM with 2MB Buffer but was able to finally get rid of those. I now have 1x120GB Seagate SATA drive as my primary drive. This will hold my OS (MCE2005) and all of the installed software including games.

Back to the 2nd Hard Drive, should it be a huge 200GB IDE 7200RPM with 8MB Buffer or should I get a SATA drive, but most likely it is going to be a 160GB instead of a 200GB. But the difference in performance, is it noticeable?

Basically, what would you [H] folkers do if you are in need of a 2nd Hard Drive and the budget is $100 bucks total?

Thanks!!
 
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-129&depa=1

I know its a tad over your limit but the performance is incredible, and its just as fast as their SATA version. ive got the 120GB version of this drive.

did you know that the much hailed super high performance WD raptors are actually parallel ATA drives strapped to a SATA converter? SATA is just an interface as is PATA. most any drive nowadays wouldnt give much performance drop even if it was paired with an 'old' ATA66 controller.
 
I have seen some of those WD2000JB offered for sale here and at a pretty good price point. Is there a disadvantage on getting a second hand drive?
 
another drive letter?

none that I know of except you are taking 2 drive bays and using a little more power...

I would rather run 2 drives, honestly, instead of one huge one, if I needed as much space as you do... but if it was me I would run gigabit and run a network server, say... a little socket 370 system with a slim micro ATX case, headless running windows 2000 pro on a 3GB C: partition with 256MB RAM and all... no drives but the hard drive after you install everything... including realVNC to it... use it to serve webites and other various junk yaknow. little servers are always handy to have tucked away.
 
Nah, not a second hard drive, a second hand drive, a used drive. Do you think it is okay to purchase a used drive since the savings can sometime be pretty good.
 
my opinion? you want my honest opinion on that? I thought it was a good deal. and then I lost over 200GB of data because of it and 10 drives are now instant paperweights. look at 7 of them here.
I will**NEVER**buy another used hard drive again!
 
There will be a 200GB WD IDE on sale on Black Friday...don't remember which store or the price tho...I DO remember it was $0.25/GB :eek:...a MUST buy hdd...
 
From the looks of things, everyone seems to be recommending a regular PATA HD, so I will be going out looking for these.

Hopefully my store has a good Black Friday sale on HD. I will be all over it if we do have a 200GB+ HD for dirt cheap.

That Seagate one was the HD that I was first eyeing.
 
jaqie said:
I only trust seagate and WD anymore. ask someone else...

I'll never buy another Seagate. Admittedly it's going back quite a few years, but their ubiquitous 1GB and 2GB SCSI drives in the early 90s seemed to have a 3-year failure rate of over 50% from a sample size of a few dozen (from various batches), which is not good, and the firmware on their 4GB SCSI drives from the same era couldn't operate reliably at 10MB/s and had to be throttled down to work properly. Funny how some people (eg. me) have very long memories regarding that sort of thing.
 
Back
Top