• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

100% disk usage

redman223

Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
1,013
I built a new pc recently, here are the following specs:

E6600
2GB DDR2-900
EVGA 680i
EVGA 8800GTX

Now for my hard drive, newegg made a mistake and sent me the IDE version of the Seagate 7200.10's that I ordered, so I sent them back and the SATA drives should be here soon. Until then I wanted to test out my system using my old IDE drive, which is a 120GB IBM Deskstar.

I knew something was up when it took just as long to do things as my old computer did. I made a MAJOR jump from the old computer to the new computer, but ripping and decompressing files still takes as long as it used to. Just to give you a clue of the comparisons between systems, the old setup was:

Pentium 2 400mhz (thats right, 400)
384mb ram
gateway motherboard
Radeon 9500pro video card (kept getting agp cards from friends that moved on to pcix)

I looked in the system monitor that nvidia provides and it shows that cpu usage and memory usage are quite low, even when the system is bogged down, but that disk usage is 100%....what causes this? Is my old hard drive that old? I bought it in 2003....
 
Is the disk fragmented? Do non-disk-limited things run as fast as expected? Are you overclocking your machine?
 
I will run the defrag utility tonight, never thought that I would need to, since I just formatted the drive before installing windows. I was unable to do a full format however, and just did the quick format. Things are generally not running as fast as I expected, to tell you the truth they are the same speed as they were with my p2 400....thats a big letdown considering the new setup is 100x faster.

The one thing that I notice now is that CPU usage is generally never more than 20%, whereas before it was always maxed out at 100%, same goes with the ram. I think it might have been a problem with some of the motherboard software that came with the board. I will try the defrag and see how that works.

I am not overclocked at the moment, I want to get it all running smooth at stock speeds first.
 
Back
Top