100% CPU right-click utilization on XP, bug

StORM48

n00b
I was arguing with some people about this bug in Windows XP. So, I want you to confirm or deny it, by trying that with yours. I've tried it many times and it's always confirmed.

You can try it by doing this:
Open My Computer and Task Manager (with CTRL-ALT-DEL). Then, while you look at the Performance tab, right-click directly onto C: disk icon at MyComp. That means - do not left-click first to select the HDD icon, but directly right-click and leave it like that.

This way you'll cause 100% CPU utilization.

Is this happening with your XP or not?

Yeah, strange, it works for me too, 100% untilization when right click C: drive ... I have SP2

It doesn't happen to me. XPSP2.

But I still have that damn right click problem. Explorer crashed everytime I right click the desktop or if I'm in a directory tree.

really annoying.

doesnt happen to me, but I have seen it happen to other peopls comps it is because all the crap that programs put in the right click menu.

I get 1% max.

I have an extremely stripped down XP SP2 install w/dual processors. How I click makes zero difference. It varies from 0-1%.

I have noticed in the past that not all mice are created equal. Someone with the problem should try a different mouse to see what happens, and get back to us.

I'm using an Intellimouse Optical...the first version...for what it's worth.

XPSP2 no such behavior. I'm have an Athlon XP though, if the bug is indeed processor specific.

Right-click crashes or high CPU utilization usually comes from 3rd party menu extensions. Does the context menu come up? What is the content of the context menu? How long does 100% cpu utilization last -- indefinitely or until context menu is dismissed?

It doesn't happen to me but thats because I disable all visual effects for best performance anyway

It jumps to about 21% for me. I have a few other programs running though so who knows. Weird though.

Guys,
I don't accept this issue as a bug. I think it is more likely a hardware issue, a driver issue, or some fragmented system file, or something else...but not a bug. In other words, I believe it is fixable, but because mine isn't broken, I wouldn't know where to start.

Back