$100> AGP card

Well our dell died.....I really was not in the mood to go fix it, I had warned my family not to buy a dell and it would come back to bite them in the. It has a nvidia PNY ti4600 128mb AGP card, the fan on the card had died over a year ago killing any gaming done on it(morrowind, CS1.6 and some source) Because it would instantly overheat and artifact.

Well, even though I knew it was the video card this whole time I never bothered to test to see if i was right, until a few minutes ago when I put it into my rig and it does not work, so we need a replacement which we will be ordering from newegg. I am basically looking for something faster then the Ti(ha, a 6200 is faster then the 4600.....)Best bang for the buck kinda deal, $100 being maximum but we are looking to keep it around $80 shipped.

I tried looking for benchmarks on these low end cards but it seem no one bothers to review them anymore

Thanks, but no thanks....I prefer not to buy used items.

One more thing, keep in mind this is a dell so the powersupply is not a champion

You are going to be limited to a few cards then. If you do wish to purchase a used card, then 9600pro for about the same price will be in your range. The card, however, is still no match for a 9800pro that hasn't been overclocked and was properly cooled (4 fans) for only about a 1.5 years of age. ;)

BTW, you are probably going to need at least 200+ watts for a PSU for any card in that range.

6600 is a good way to go, you shoulda just bought a new fan for the damned graphics card and it woulda never died on you after so long.

CleanSlate said:
6600 is a good way to go, you shoulda just bought a new fan for the damned graphics card and it woulda never died on you after so long.
most of the ones that would have fit in the case and on the card were discontinued by the time i realised the fan was not spinning anymore

You can buy a crystal orb for $10 online... or anyone of the other cheap little things you can buy at any retail store.... they have stick on ones... you just never asked anyone or was too lazy to. Don't blame Dell for you own lack of curiosity. And infact I bet you set your parents up for a fall. You knew you could some how get a new fan on it but left it till it died so you could complain to them more about it dying and it being their fault for not listening.

Frankly, I think you should apologize for bitching at them.

CleanSlate said:
You can buy a crystal orb for $10 online... or anyone of the other cheap little things you can buy at any retail store.... they have stick on ones... you just never asked anyone or was too lazy to. Don't blame Dell for you own lack of curiosity. And infact I bet you set your parents up for a fall. You knew you could some how get a new fan on it but left it till it died so you could complain to them more about it dying and it being their fault for not listening.

Frankly, I think you should apologize for bitching at them.
First of all I bitched at them?

Second of all, its not my parents computer

Thirdly I came to them and told them about the fan and if they would pay for me to put a new one on it, they said no because the computer was still working for what they do(internet)

Why didnt you just put another fan on the VC when it died?

darktiger said:
Why didnt you just put another fan on the VC when it died?
Not my PC, I was not going to pay for replacing the fan(as cheap as it was) They said $20 was not worth it when the pc still worked.....

Alright so maybe I misunderstood what was going on.

Good luck, I still think 6600 is the best bet as it OCs like hell (GT speeds) and it is cheap.

~Adam

Using ATI's trade-up program i think you can get a X1600XT for $100. You would have to send the old card in.

MH

MrBojangels said:
Well our dell died.....I really was not in the mood to go fix it, I had warned my family not to buy a dell and it would come back to bite them in the. It has a nvidia PNY ti4600 128mb AGP card, the fan on the card had died over a year ago killing any gaming done on it(morrowind, CS1.6 and some source) Because it would instantly overheat and artifact.

Well, even though I knew it was the video card this whole time I never bothered to test to see if i was right, until a few minutes ago when I put it into my rig and it does not work, so we need a replacement which we will be ordering from newegg. I am basically looking for something faster then the Ti(ha, a 6200 is faster then the 4600.....)Best bang for the buck kinda deal, $100 being maximum but we are looking to keep it around $80 shipped.

I tried looking for benchmarks on these low end cards but it seem no one bothers to review them anymore
Buying a Dell didn't "come back to bite them", their ignorance concerning hardware did. That would have caused an eventual problem regardless of the vendor, so don't point the finger at Dell. If someone had done a better job explaining the reprocussions of running the card without a fan, I bet they would have replaced it. Also, if you had a case fan, PCI bracket, pliers, and a drill, you could have easily made a card cooler for them.

BTW, I agree that a 6600 would probably be the best bet under $100 shipped.

OKANG said:
Buying a Dell didn't "come back to bite them", their ignorance concerning hardware did. That would have caused an eventual problem regardless of the vendor, so don't point the finger at Dell. If someone had done a better job explaining the reprocussions of running the card without a fan, I bet they would have replaced it. Also, if you had a case fan, PCI bracket, pliers, and a drill, you could have easily made a card cooler for them.

BTW, I agree that a 6600 would probably be the best bet under $100 shipped.
I don't know how much room you think a dell has inside its case, but if you think you can ghetto rig a case fan to cool the video card, think again.

and yes it did come back to bite them, the pc died in 3years, not like its from 1994

Don't listen to those people who like to complain about the way you do things, I myself do not do any work on other peoples computers unless they are paying, including my family because I always lose out in the end. Say you getto the fan then the computer stops again and they take it to a store to get it fixed the store owner blames it on the makeshift fan and your family thinks you killed their computer. I have had this happen to me 3 times family and friends and it always resulted in me replacing the part out of my pocket.

One fan died three years after purchase. That will happen with most small fans like that in a hot environment. Expecting a part that has a calculated MTBF to last forever is unrealistic. If everything in a PC lasted forever, manufacturers would offer better warranties.

I still say this issue is independant of the vendor used. There is a good chance the fan on the replacement card will die in three years as well. If that's an issue, get a passively-cooled card.

reading halfway down this post i started asking myself why are these people bitching at him, he is just trying to find a replacement for a video card for less than 100 dollars..

but then i realized his ignorance fully..

i am no dell fan, but blaming a company for something you diagnosed and let go because you where lazy is just sad.

it was your job as an obviously more intelligent person to inform the persons computer it was that not replacing the broken fan would eventually cause a more serious issue, and dont give me that crap that dells dont have any room in it. it is very easy to mount a fan without doing a poor job of it facing up.

i hope you are paying for this replacement card.

Back