10% more performance on Zen 3 with 4 sticks of ram?! - G Nexus

No!
No one is getting these variables in going from 16 to 32 GB ram. If that was all we would have endless examples and everyone would be screaming for bigger kits as an enthusiast must have. I thought it was common knowledge all ready that 2 sticks dual rank was superior. 4 sticks single will get you there but might not get you the clocks.
GN is just rehashing old news because Zen3.

To an extent, we need to test a newer CPU and see if certain limitations still hold true. Having said that, it's pretty easy to figure out that Zen3 will still have many of the same limitations due to having the same motherboard platform. AMD didn't introduce a successor to X570. Now, memory behavior is linked to the CPU, but the motherboard has something to do with it.

Isn't 2x16 dual rank sticks the same thing as 4x8 single rank sticks? Both result in dual channel, dual rank configs.
Depends on if your mobo uses a T topology or daisy chain layout. Daisy chain is better with 2 sticks, T is better with 4.

EDIT: I should clarify, this is from an OCing perspective. Having only 2 slots on the mobo is better than either layout, 2 populated in a daisy chain mobo is next best for getting highest clocks on your modules, then T is after that. If you're hell bent on running 4 sticks, T will beat daisy chain in getting the most out of your modules. THAT SAID, if you're testing the modules at the exact same speeds and timings (lets say 3600CL14 2x16 DR vs 3600CL14 4x8 SR), there should be absolutely no difference in performance between either of the layouts assuming they're stable. It's only for OCing the modules that it should come into play. So to sum up, either get 2 dual rank sticks for Daisy, or 4 single rank sticks for T, if you want to take them to their max.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azrak
like this
Isn't 2x16 dual rank sticks the same thing as 4x8 single rank sticks? Both result in dual channel, dual rank configs.
He does a pretty good job of explaining it, but doesn't mention anything about T or daisy-chain:

so what's the deal? does 4x DIMMs matter or not ultimately? if i got another 2x kit of the same ram will it boost me 8-10% or not? tired of trying to decipher through all the interpretations anymore

so what's the deal? does 4x DIMMs matter or not ultimately? if i got another 2x kit of the same ram will it boost me 8-10% or not? tired of trying to decipher through all the interpretations anymore
From what I understand 2 or 4 dimm is not the relevant variable, dual rank or single rank is (and your 2x16gb kit is probably already dual rank), achieving 4 ranks with 4 single-rank or 2 dual rank Dimm would give you that benefit.

From what I understand 2 or 4 dimm is not the relevant variable, dual rank or single rank is (and your 2x16gb kit is probably already dual rank), achieving 4 ranks with 4 single-rank or 2 dual rank Dimm would give you that benefit.
i remember Buildzoid said he'd like some Quad Rank ram

Saw this review posted today. Is it easier to achieve CL17 at higher clocks on 4x8 than 2x16? Or did they bring this kit knowing 4000MHz CL17 4x8GB benefits the Zen3 architecture?
G.Skill TridentZ Royal DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 32 GB (4x 8 GB)
Not sure I can answer all your questions but I have a few comments.
With AMD, once you go over 2666 for some reason it can't do odd numbers on the first of the RAM timing numbers, so 17 isn't a possibilty. The first number gets bumped up one. If you tried to set XMP for this RAM it wouldn't go with 17 but 18.
They ran the RAM at 3600 on the AMD system with manual, and tight timings. First digit was 14.
I'm pretty sure they got this RAM because it's Samsung B-die and obviously highly binned, good quality stuff. Samsung B-die is widely considered the best memory IC for Ryzen.
Here is another issue they mentioned on I think it's page 7: "In Ryzen 3000 systems, as soon as you go higher than DDR4-3733, a 2:1 multiplier kicks in, and Infinity Fabric starts working at half the memory clock frequency (you can force a 1:1 setting, although this might make your system less stable). So, for the best overall system performance/stability, we recommend stopping at DDR4-3600."

Not sure I can answer all your questions but I have a few comments.
With AMD, once you go over 2666 for some reason it can't do odd numbers on the first of the RAM timing numbers, so 17 isn't a possibilty. The first number gets bumped up one. If you tried to set XMP for this RAM it wouldn't go with 17 but 18.
They ran the RAM at 3600 on the AMD system with manual, and tight timings. First digit was 14.
I'm pretty sure they got this RAM because it's Samsung B-die and obviously highly binned, good quality stuff. Samsung B-die is widely considered the best memory IC for Ryzen.
Here is another issue they mentioned on I think it's page 7: "In Ryzen 3000 systems, as soon as you go higher than DDR4-3733, a 2:1 multiplier kicks in, and Infinity Fabric starts working at half the memory clock frequency (you can force a 1:1 setting, although this might make your system less stable). So, for the best overall system performance/stability, we recommend stopping at DDR4-3600."
Unless it's changed since Ryzen+ that's only the case if Gear Down Mode is enabled which on at least some boards the default setting is auto which enables it if you're over 2666Mhz. It helps with memory stability so if you disable it you might want to test for that.

Back