10 foot browsing

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I've got Windows Media Center on Win7 on a 46" tv. Mostly just use it for tv viewing and actually haven't had a decent keyboard/mouse for it til now.

I was just wondering if you all have experience and tips to improve any computing experience you may have on it. One thing I've already learned is that while computing from your recliner may sound good, it isn't really all that comfortable...but if there is anyway I could improve it with better browsing and such, I'm all for it - obviously resolution issues are the biggest problem.

Almost seems like there needs to be "apps" for 10 foot interface browsing just like there are for mobile devices...

biggest problem for me is the input device. i currently supplement it with my iphone using some iphone apps (air mouse). using the iphone as an input device only requires wifi and does not need a direct line of site. I also have a cheapo full size wireless keyboard / mouse, and a lennovo media center mini keyboard. My glass entertainment rack and glass coffee table bounces the signal so it gets a tad annoying.

for viewing, just use the zoom feature on the browser. and also increase the DPI in windows display to 125%.

Yeah...I had read about that and downloaded it...not real full featured - just seems like shortcuts to like a few popular pages?
No, its an actual browser. Thats just kind of a home-page with quick-links. You can enter normal URL's too.

I think the best browser option would be one that identifies itself as a mobile browser, since many sites have mobile oriented versions that would be more friendly to the 10ft experience

When I originally got a configuration for my HTPC with help of people on here, I couldn't decide on a keyboard and mouse....its been a awhile and I never got around to getting one - I'd just plug in in the rare occasion i needed on it...but a read a story the other day on the Logitech MK520 set and got them for about $50. I had a bit of a problem getting it to work (the software said it couldn't see the keyboard forever, then duh, I just started typing with it and it was all working) anyway I really like the keyboard and mouse and they work great across the room.

No, its an actual browser. Thats just kind of a home-page with quick-links. You can enter normal URL's too.

I think the best browser option would be one that identifies itself as a mobile browser, since many sites have mobile oriented versions that would be more friendly to the 10ft experience

True ...I'll look at Kylo again, I have it installed but didn't mess with it much (obviously).

Back