10 Best Scary Video Games of All Time

No mention of Eternal Darkness?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness

That takes the cake for scary games, and a game that messes with you. If your sanity is low, the game "crashes" while saving!

I have never jumped so high in a game, when I looked in the bath tub, I knew it was going to be bad, but man!

Have to play it with surround sound, and the lights off.

fail.

None of any of the early ID works made the article. Doom2 caused me to jump when running into a blacked out room and then a dozen evil things were in your face when the lights would come on.

I still have a display from "Operation - Dark Simulator" (Doom3). I consider that scarier than any of the comedy found in Maniac Mansion.

Marine campaign in AvP 2 was amazing.

I do like their choice for Clocktower, actually. Not many people played that game, and it was really awesome. You'd hear the bad guy's scissors and you'd have to run and hide--pretty intense.

Of course Dead Space 1 and 2 were pretty sweet as well--I wasn't really impressed with the "scariness" of any of the Fear series.

Clive barkers undying was amazing.

Other games that spooked me:

Nocturne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_(video_game)

There was a blair witch game following a civil war soldier who wandered into some haunted woods after being shot but it wasn't "lol Blair witch". It was OMFG WHY ARE THERE LITTLE KID SHADOWS LAUGHING. It was the second one here -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Witch_Project_(video_games)

FEAR 1

Alone in the dark

I have not tried amnesia yet but it is on my steam.

Metroid on NES super metroid.

and metroid prime.

None of the games on that list are scary and some of them like resident evil suck balls.

Seriously i got so into fucking metroid I was like oh fuck I am going to die like every 8 seconds and most of them was not even the bosses the monsters are creepy as fuck.

and this unused Kraid model in metroid prime still fucking disturbs me they made him 12 times as creepy than in super metroid .

MP_Kraid.jpg

D (Sega Saturn) - I was younger when this came out and so its influence on me is stronger. This was simply a game I couldn't play at night alone in the dark.
I loved this game so much back in the day! Thank you for mentioning it.

How did this guy not include Amnesia: Dark Descent?

How did Plants vs. Zombies not make that list? I can't eat vegetables in the same manner again. :p :D

ghostbusters & left 4 dead & Zombies at my neighbours lol. the list is crap why are we promoting it

I think Silent Hill should be #1 and it remains the only game I ever played that I even think was truly "scary".
This list is so crappy I'm shocked the clueless writer didnt throw on Plants vs Zombies.

Nobody's mentioned Alan Wake?

Doom/ Doom3/ Both Dead Space games. Undying, STALKER, FEAR. Those also need to be on the list.

That is a horrible list. I'd definitely have FEAR 1, Alan Wake and Silent Hill on that list.

for me the scariest game would be Aliens vs Predator. When I played it about 10+ years ago I literally had to run to the bathroom to throw up when an alien jumped at me from a pitch black room.

Might have been motion sickness though :-P

My list.

10. FEAR
9. Clock Tower
8. Condemned
7. Resident Evil
6. Silent Hill
5. Dead Space
4. Doom 3
3. System Shock 2 (maybe it was due to my age at the time but this game was horrifying)
2. Fatal Frame
1. Amensia/Penumbra

Honorable Mention: Alien vs Predator (Marine campaign)

Back