• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

10.5 inch ati 5970?

QuadDragon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
250
Anyone know of a company thats working on a 10.5 inch 5970? I'm replacing 2 ati 4870 x2s but my case will only hold a 10.5 inch card.
 
doubt you will see one at 10.5 inches since the 5970 needs every bit of the current card size to run.. if anything they will probably get larger as they try to stuff as much memory on them as possible for the 4GB versions..
 
This is a dual GPU card it needs a lot of space, the reference size is a hair over 12" i think, I highly doubt you're going to see a 2" shrink. You be better of investing in a bigger case, or some dremel kit ;)
 
Anyone know of a company thats working on a 10.5 inch 5970? I'm replacing 2 ati 4870 x2s but my case will only hold a 10.5 inch card.

get a new case or prepare to cut off a section of your hard drive bays... lol :D
 
doubt you will see one at 10.5 inches since the 5970 needs every bit of the current card size to run.. if anything they will probably get larger as they try to stuff as much memory on them as possible for the 4GB versions..

This is a dual GPU card it needs a lot of space, the reference size is a hair over 12" i think, I highly doubt you're going to see a 2" shrink. You be better of investing in a bigger case, or some dremel kit ;)
The HD5970 is the ATX standard for a full length PCIe expansion card which is 12.25 inches. I don't believe they will try and make any further cards larger than this since this is the largest standard size. If anything, more complex cards will implement more layers for their circuit boards to accomodate more complexity. AMD and Nvidia will try to adhere to the standard to avoid backlash from case manufacturers. Until this point, it was the case manufacturers that chose to adhere to the standard or not. I wouldn't expect any larger cards than the HD5970 until the PCI SIG standards group approves a larger size.
 
Even so, you may want to start looking at crossfiring two 5850s and volt mod them to 5870 speeds. IIRC, the 5870 is shorter than the 5970 but not by much.

If your really set on a 5970, the best solution is to look into a full tower case. I have a Cooler master HAF 932 I got from newegg: HAF 932 The price its at now is very good. I have a $20 MIR I have to send out to get my final price to that. But it makes my 8800GTX look small. I know there are a few guys on here that have this case with 5970's in them and they fit.

Google search for cases that fit a 5970.
 
Back
Top