10.2 driver issue.

Roadhog

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
282
Anyone who has the 10.2's, have their windows change the theme to vista basic randomly, and then back to Aero at random? This happened for the first time last night, and it also happened to a friend with 10.2 also. While it was in windows basic, the fans would keep revving up and down. Was rather odd.

EDIT: Also, I got a crash in Forged Alliance for the first time, I had all horizontal lines through the game screen, then I alt tabbed out and back in, and it was a solid grey screen. Had to end the game process. Never had that happen on anything below 10.2, and I play that game a LOT.
 
Welcome to 10.2 hell. Yer lucky you don't have to buy a new vid card =(

It seems to work fine for a lot of people and totally sucks for others.
 
2nd issue sounds like gsod (never had it), tbh i would go back to the last drivers if i got problems like that.
 
Had same problems, and noticed my gpu usage went extremely high for just being on desktop, and card temp went up as well.
 
My issue is with "atikmpag.sys". No matter what game I'm in, DX11, 10 or 9... it gives me full system crashes resulting in a reboot. I've tried both 10.1 and 10.2. Same problem.

And I came back to ATI after 8 years with Nvidia for this. What was I thinking? Oh yeah... Eyefinity. Hope they get this fixed soon.
 
same issue here.......i have an xfx5770 and it crashes randomly. according to research its 2 weeks out for a fix. yeah i just came back to ati also after a long time with nvidia. ughh
 
Anyone who has the 10.2's, have their windows change the theme to vista basic randomly, and then back to Aero at random? This happened for the first time last night, and it also happened to a friend with 10.2 also. While it was in windows basic, the fans would keep revving up and down. Was rather odd.

EDIT: Also, I got a crash in Forged Alliance for the first time, I had all horizontal lines through the game screen, then I alt tabbed out and back in, and it was a solid grey screen. Had to end the game process. Never had that happen on anything below 10.2, and I play that game a LOT.


the gray screen in FA you can blame on FA.. if the game locks up or crashes it will automatically go to a gray screen if you alt tab out and back in.. its dumb.. but ive gotten use to it over the years playing the game.. the worst one is when playing online and some one in the servers system crashes and it doesnt bring up the connection issue box and you alt tab out and back in it will gray screen and sit there until the connection issue box comes up or the persons connection is fixed.. though im amazed you have never had that happen before.. happens to me at least 3-4 times a day and im using a gtx 260..
 
This is not a 10.2 specific issue but a general catalyst issue for me. Sometimes when I want to bring up the CCC window I have to click the CCC shortcut a bunch of times as it seems the process quits and restarts (the tray icon dissapears and then reappears after clicking the shortcut a lot).

I had have this issue in vista and now also with my clean install of win7. I love my 5870, ati has the best hardware at the moment but they really need to polish their driver software. That's one thing I miss about nvidia.

Also switching between eyefinity modes and extended mode via profile is a nightmare. Apparently 10.3 will sort this out so I have big expectations.
 
I turned aero off after reading somewhere that some people had success with the GSOD issue by doing so....It didn't work for me along with anything else that I've tried.

It's terrible because this card really is a beast when everything's working properly.
 
Same mine was doing it but i uninstalled everything and cleaned the registry and reinstalled and it fixed that. But now i get no screen during boot with the hdmi cable plugged in. So i can't enter the bios nor see anything during boot with it. While my nvidia card boots fine with hdmi and i can enter the bios on boot.
 
Update: I mistakenly thought my mobo bios was up to date but in fact it was about 4 revisions behind so I flashed the bios on my MSI P45 Platinum a few hours ago and the results are that while I still have the GSODs, their frequency has greatly reduced....

Examples:
BFBC2 beta, prior to bios update I could play a max of 15 minutes before it would crash.
After the bios update I was able to run through an entire round of 25-30 minutes and then 15 minutes or so into the second round it finally crashed.

Heaven Benchmark (dx11, high settings, tesselation on, 1920x1200, everything cranked up)...Prior to bios update I could run through the entire sequence once and then about half way through the second run through it would crash.
After the bios update at the same settings I ran through the entire sequence at least 5 times before I finally decided that it was stable enough and exiting.

And finally, Mass Effect 2.. Prior to bios I could play max of 15 minutes before lockup and gsod. After the bios update I played for about an hour & 20 minutes before it finally gsod'd.

So what do any of you think of this info? Anything you can glean from it?
 
Back
Top