1 velociraptor vs 2 velociraptor's in raid 0

colinstu

2[H]4U
Any tests/reviews people have done comparing them this way? Searching around, it's mostly other raid setups vs a velociraptor...

I'm pretty sure from the looking around, that a single vc would be faster then my current 2x36 raptor setup. But I'm curious what the speed difference between 1 and 2 vc's in Raid 0 would be.

Thanks

IMO, don't bother with raid0. One vraptor is fast enough. I have two in raid0, and I think it is not worth the hassle.

I just bought 2 and plan on doing some real life tests when I get the system up and running.
I will do tests with 1VR vs. 2VR vs 1 Seagate 500GB single platter...

I was about to Post a new thread when i saw this one.

I have almost the same question. I have 2x 1.5TB and 2x 1TB in raid 0, so I am very familiar with raid.

I also have a 300MB Velociraptor and a 150 MB Raptor, VelcoiRapter get 186/MB sec burst and Raptor gets 110/MB sec burst rates.

But what I would like to know is if it would be worth Raiding these raptors together for my OS drive. I am currently running my OS on the Vraptor. I understand that I would lose 150MB of space since they are not the same size drives, but would the increased speed of raid be worth it?

Well, the burst speed has little relevence in real life situations. The difference you are seeing just means the Vr is SATA II and the Raptor is SATA I. That is the exact sme difference I noticed on my 7200.11 when I took the Sata I jumper off of it.

Compare the sustained read rates and access time. Your Raid 0 will double the slower of the 2 drives. Obviously that will be the Raptor.

Don

I just bought 2 and plan on doing some real life tests when I get the system up and running.
I will do tests with 1VR vs. 2VR vs 1 Seagate 500GB single platter...

Sweet, please post results in this thread. Very eager to see what happens.

Really, I'm curious about the WD 640GB drives vs a Velociraptor vs both drives in RAID 0.

Here are my 80 giggers:

80vraptor.JPG

And my pair in RAID0, 32K stripe:

vraptorraid0.JPG

I will hopefully do my testing this week.
Right now I'm battling windows images to ease the process somewhat.
I plan on doing:
-HD tune, Crystal disk mark from sinthetics
-PC mark Vantage and 05
-than I will time app install times + app installing while torrenting/downloading
-app load times + app loading while torrenting/downloading
-file copy read/write performance using small files and large file

All that on 500gb single platter drive, single VR150, 2xVR150's in Raid0 and 2xVR150 as dedicated drives for OS and apps.

Any more realworld test ideas are appreciated...

IMO, don't bother with raid0. One vraptor is fast enough. I have two in raid0, and I think it is not worth the hassle.

Definitely not. Especially after one of mine died while in RAID 0. :eek:

Back