• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1 stick or 2?

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,816
So I was wondering if there's a difference between having a 1GB stick as opposed to having 2 512MB sticks. I realize that if you're going to have 2GBs total then 4 512MB stciks would be limiting the upgradability but I'm more concered about performance.
 
if you overclock theres a diffrence, 1 gig sticks wont overclock as well as 2x512, other then that, not really......minimal performence between the both, unless overclocking


soulsaver_8229
 
2x512MB will give you slightly better performance because they are running in dual channel and 512MB sticks ussually overclock better. However with games like BF2 where you benefit from having 2Gb I personally would get a 1GB stick and get another later.
 
KoolDrew said:
2x512MB will give you slightly better performance because they are running in dual channel and 512MB sticks ussually overclock better. However with games like BF2 where you benefit from having 2Gb I personally would get a 1GB stick and get another later.

the 100 dollars to get another gig, dosnet justify the gain in preformence with BF2, like ive said, people all to often suffer from plecebo syndrom.......



soulsaver_8229
 
oh, I guess I forgot to add that I won't be overclocking and that the computer is mostly for photoshop and CAD work.
 
typically the advantage with 512mb sticks is that they're low density, so tight timings are 'easier' to get. high density chips (the stuff that goes in single sided 512mb or 1024mb sticks) are typically pretty high latency and don't overclock too well. micron 5b D (the stuff that goes in the crucial 1gb sticks) is the exception to this rule.
 
Back
Top