1 platter vs. 2, WD Drive

Look on the net for some HDtune results for reported single/double platter drives. Then, test your drive, and compare with existing benchmarks.

run hdtune or hdtach if you getting avg read speed of 80+ MB/s then it's a single platter drive.

Here's a benchmark of new wd3200aaks vs old (Ignore the cpu usage, I usually have lots of stuff going on but the drives weren't accessed by anything other then HDTune)

Single Platter
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD3200AAKS-00B3A0_read.png

Two Platters
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD3200AAKS-22VYA0.png

Wow, you can tell the temperature differences from the single platter design pretty well, too. :eek:

Unless, of course, the HDDs are mounted in different spots in the case with differing amounts of airflow, but the single-platter performance says it all. :)

Guess mine is a double platter? :( No wonder micro center had it on sale. Back to the store is goes lol.

39784949ci3.jpg

You can tell by the revision number, after WD3200AAKS-00**A0

You want it to say B3 where the two **'s are...

And you can feel it in the weight of the drive, one of my friends ordered one and it's definitely lighter than my dual-platter one...

you linked the same wd part twice. Anyway you can't tell if the wd3200aaks is 1 platter or 2 just by the part #, you need the revision #. Place's like newegg don't show the revision #s. As far as I know no online retailer shows the revision #. So getting 1 platter wd3200aaks is pretty much luck of the draw. But I had very good luck with zipzoomfly. I think last 4-5 drives I ordered from them were the single platter version.

I think I'm just going to buy a 00B3A0 used so I know it's the right one :D

That is really obnoxious that they don't include a new revision number like a .10 vs .11 segate does.

Back