• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1 lens for vacation....

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
11,819
Okay say you have a rebel xt and you were about to go on vacation to say...Greece or Hawaii. What would be the one lens that you would bring with you....Under $500..
 
Gotta go with Canon's 17-85 IS on this one. In mint shape, you should be able to find it under $500 (look on the Fred Miranda forums)

in general, high-ratio zooms like a 28-200 exhibit mediocre sharpness and severe chromatic aberration. Plus, the IS on the 17-85 will make it very decent when things get dark. It would easily replace the 18-55mm kit lens that came with your 350D, if you're having trouble offsetting the cost.
 
When I have a single lens choice for vacations, I use canon's 28-135IS. It gets wide enough for almost anything that you would normally shoot, but can also reach out well at 135, especially with the help of IS. May be a little heavy on an XT body without a grip.
 
Id add another vote for the 17-85IS, i have the 28-135IS which was the only lens i took to paris for a week and it worked wonderfully *except* for a few times when it wasnt quite wide enough. 28*1.6 = 45mm isnt really wide. Now if you know you are going to be taking mostly outdoor shots, the 28-135IS might work well. And i definately reccomend IS for low light / long focal length lenses. Lets you handhold a little longer than normal.

If you have the kit lens, set it to 28mm and see if you can live with that being the widest angle youlll get, if so, the 28-135 is cheaper than the 17-85 i believe.
 
When I was out in the UK with my SIgma 24-135 F2.8-4.5 and the kit 18-55, I found I did make the switch between lenses more times than I liked, and I also found the 135 wasn't *quite* enough for some things (mainly the airshow).

I'd suggest either the Tamron or Sigma 18-200mm lenses. Thats what I'm planning on picking up sometime soon, anyway.

Tamron
sigma

Both are 400 bucks.

The tamron has a bonus Macro ability.

BB
 
Back
Top