1 GB (2 x 512) or 2 GB (4 x 512)?

MrToilet

Weaksauce
I have two sets of Corsair TwinX 3200 C2 (so 4 x 512 MB sticks) in my Asus A8N32 motherboard. In CPU-Z, the memory timings are listed as 157 mHz (DDR 314, roughly), timings 2-3-3-7. Looking on Corsair's forums, I found out this is due to the memory revisions and type of chips not matching, so I think I'm stuck running this memory at 333 with all 4 modules.

When I had only one set, I could OC pretty easily to 225 or so, with better timings; I play quite a few games, so my question is whether it's better to run 1 GB at faster speeds, or 2 GB at slower speeds for gameplay?

Thanks.

In all honesty, there's really no noticeable loss running your memory modules in DDR 333 mode, instead of DDR 400 mode.

I'd much rather have 2 GB of DDR 333 memory, than 1 GB of DDR 400, especially with today's games getting very, very memory hungry.

youll be running at 2T all the time if you use 4x512 but since you play a lot of games, its probably better to stay at 2gb

not all has to run 2T some boards can run it 1T forgot which one.

Unabomber said:
In all honesty, there's really no noticeable loss running your memory modules in DDR 333 mode, instead of DDR 400 mode.

Your kidding right? Thats like saying you can't feel the difference between a engine that makes 200 hp or 120 hp lol. Well okay some people can't! :rolleyes:

Tazman2 said:
Your kidding right? Thats like saying you can't feel the difference between a engine that makes 200 hp or 120 hp lol. Well okay some people can't! :rolleyes:
no u cant feel the difference. and if you can....either your lying or ur lying :) . and we are talking about feeling not benchmarks or what nots.

tvdang7 said:
no u cant feel the difference. and if you can....either your lying or ur lying :) . and we are talking about feeling not benchmarks or what nots.

I can see the "snappyness" or lack there of when going from cas 2 to 3! ;) Let alone from 400 to 333 and 2T from 1T yikes! :eek:

it is defeinitely a noticable difference. I would try doing both and seeing which you prefer.

i personaly have. i feel nothing. might i ask what is it that you are doing that makes u feel the differnce.

So, here's my choices:

currently I'm running my 3500+ Venice @ 250x11, 2.73 gHz, 2 GB memory on the 133 divider, ~166 mHz, 2-3-2-6 timings.

With 1 GB memory, I could run the chip @ 220 x 11, 2.4 gHz, 1:1 on the memory @ 3-3-3-8 timings. With the memory divider, I've run the CPU @ 295x10, 2.95 gHz, memory on the 133 divider (200 mHz) @ 2-3-2-5.

Which would be better? Thanks.

I have 4 X 512. I oc'd it to 220. I'm not sure if I can feel the difference between 333 or 400. I know psychologicaly I probably do.

tvdang7 said:
i personaly have. i feel nothing. might i ask what is it that you are doing that makes u feel the differnce.

Booting up? Loading a program? Anything really... I guess some people just notice things some don't. Just like some people can stare at a 60 hz refresh rate and get a pounding headache but not even notice its at 60 hz. Yet i walk by and in my head i'm like ahhhhh sh*t wtf. And have to fix it because i can notice it from just passing by! ;)

Adionik said:
I have 4 X 512. I oc'd it to 220. I'm not sure if I can feel the difference between 333 or 400. I know psychologicaly I probably do.

Do you have the PC3200 C2 memory, or something a little higher end, like XL or LL? I can't get my 4x512 setup stable at any voltage from 2.6-2.9, even with looser timings. Right now I have to run my memory @ 166 mHz just for my computer to be stable.

Back