1 empty case for new build. Help please.

trippled

n00b
All,

$24 Antec case with 350 antec smart pwr supply.
need quality montherboard with plenty of features. I am not going to overclock soon.
ram/processor. I don't know what to get?
have WD hd 250 gig
have 64meb video card
Please help on new system. I am not a heavy gamer.
Just need this computer for surfing/applications/cd/dvd backups.

I also live near frys electronics. But, I rarely see them sell processors with quality boards as a set.

Inputs please

tripplely

thanks

My suggestions would be any 865 chipset board from Asus, ASRock, Abit, Chaintech, MSI or Gigabyte. Same makers for a socket A motherboard.

Really what you should decide is what you're doing in the next 2 years. A 64MB card is decent but is getting older. If you don't plan on upgrading your computer much (if at all) then it's pretty much just what you're willing to spend.

If you want to reuse your video card, avoid nForce 4 (AMD64) or 915/925 (Pentium 4) motherboards as they're pretty much PCI-Express only.

1. Show your budget..

2. What would you want this quality motherboard do for you? Game or office work....

My budget for a cpu/mother board is $250 with flexiblity. I want to buy on sale/with rebates if possible. I am a selective buyer and have time to wait. cpu amd/pentium does not matter.

Ram I want 512-1gig of quality ram mushkin/or corsair but i don't know what specification I should get.

Thanks Trippley

Personally I'd go with the XP2800+ Barton, it can be had for $110 OEM or $137 Retail on Newegg, depending on what you plan to do about cooling.

For motherboard its harder for me to reccomend.. I've heard some good things about the MSI line of nf2 boards (Delta SLR or something, the gibberish names really tick me off). But with that price proc you could "splurge" (114 on Newegg) on the DFI "LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B" which [H] themselves gave a nice review.

As for RAM, I'm a Corsair man. I have a stick of the first XMS3200 and its been going good for a few years now. So I say a GB of whatever Corsair suits your fancy. If you're not gaming, then probably two 512 sticks of the value select at 2700 will be more than enough. The Dual Kit goes for $149 on Newegg.

Did you look on the heat for sale/trade forum? Maybe someone has a good combo you can buy. The deals are usually good.

Back