1 client DHCP server on my current pc?

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
well heres the thing..my cable modems gay...it won't let the belkin router i have get an IP to connect to the internet...so now that i have 2 wireless devices i ned net access on them...the solution ive come up with (for now) is o connect my PC directly to the cable modem...(which i can connect to) and then run a second ethernet cable from a second nic to the WAN port of my router.

the problem is my PC can't give it an IP addresss

so how would i set up a small 1 client DHPC server on my existing win XP pro machine?

I'm pretty sure by setting up XP to share the connection on that ethernet card it turns on a dhcp server and such for you.

yup. im using ICS

one last question

if i have 2 NICS...1 with access to the net. and one with the router that i want to be able to access the net, i turn sharing on on the NIC that DOES have net access right?

Just curious, is it because of the MAC address? Many times, cable ISPs lock in your MAC address of whatever device you had there first. You can clone it (hopefully) with the Belkin router.

I've not used ICS, but don't you have to bridge the connections to get that dual nic setup to work like you're hoping?

Also be sure to reset the modem with nothing connected to it. Then connect you belkin router . I know Comcast and Charter normaly require this step to switch devices connected to it.

deuce868 said:
I've not used ICS, but don't you have to bridge the connections to get that dual nic setup to work like you're hoping?

No, thats different. That would still confuse the router

Back