1.8" hard drive replacement

Sgraffite

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
4,405
I have an Atom laptop that has a 60gb Toshiba 1.8" which has as far as I can tell is called a ZIF/LIF connector. The hard drive is not being recognized, and I have tried reseating the ribbon cable multiple times to no avail.

I'm looking for a replacement drive, preferably locally. Is my only option to get an external 1.8" in an enclosure and take it out of the enclosure? How can I tell what interface the 1.8" drive will have, or are they all the same?
 
The 1.8" drives all share the LIF/ZIF connector, they were a standardized format like 2.5 & 3.5, etc. If you want local check your computer repair shops or craigslist, they were quite common in compact notebooks several years ago and a host of other hard drive gadgets, or just grab one off ebay. I had a 80 GB out of a Dell I sold on ebay several months ago for about $60.
 
It seems most of the ones available now are sata, and the older ZIF/LIF interface ones are more expensive.
 
Back
Top