1.65v memory on Ivy Bridge

Milena

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
444
I bought this kit today which was listed to work at 1.5v on both the shops website as well as corsair website:

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB kit CMD32GX3M4A2133C9

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by...hannel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd32gx3m4a2133c9.html

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...tor-Platinum-DDR3-2133-DIMM-CL9-Quad-Kit.html

Enabling the XMP profile was setting it to 1.65v, using 1.5v manually doesn't work at all the system just freeze.

Intel has stated Ivy Bridge CPUs will take damage or have a reduced lifetime when using more than 1.5v +/- 5% (1.575v max) for memory due to the integrated memory controller not being designed for higher voltages.

How dangerous is it and how many of you are running 1.65v memory on Ivy Bridge 24/7?

Thanks in advance and best regards
 
ok, this is what you do.

drop it to 1866mhz and set it to 1.5v

you should feel 0% difference between the 2133mhz and 1866mhz.


now, i have to go off-topic a little bit, i think you paid alot of money for 32gb of memory, $479 dollars is alot for 32gb of memory.

you really dont have to go crazy on memory with i5/i7's, they have intergrated memory controller.

you really could of saved alot of money if you just bought these 32gb modules for $144 dollars, that's more than $300 in savings: There would be minimal to no difference in real time performance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231507
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

The thing is I didn't buy high-end 2133mhz memory to run it at 1866, whether its a big difference or not. I just wonder why it was listed by Corsair at 1.5v and if Intel is just exaggerating or if 1.65v is really causing damage over time.

If it turns out running this kit is not healthy I will most likely return it and get a cheaper g.skill 1866 32gb kit they go for like half of the dominator price here (around 150 euros which is fair for 32gb imo).

Maybe this one or similar: http://www.amazon.de/G-Skill-Ripjaw...WJ1O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1351693341&sr=8-6
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With the 2nd and 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor they only support memory at 1.5v ±5% (1.425v to 1.575v). Running memory at higher voltage can cause damage the to processor.

I personally have talked to a couple people who have run memory and run into some problems and I have talked to some others who have not. The best advise that I can give you is to run at 1.5v. Also I would go with some DDR 3 1600 and get the best performance/value.
 
I've been running my 3570k for months folding 24/7 with 1.65v DDR3 2133 and not encoutered an issue, but it is a gamble. I would stick with intel spec unless you are fine with replacing parts if they burn up.
 
When in doubt, follow the advice and recommendations of the people that built the thing you're asking about. In this case Intel and they say it's a no-no. That would be the advice I would pay most attention to.
 
If you want to run the memory at that speed and voltage and don't want to risk damaging your processor you might look into picking up the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan. This will give you coverage if you do damage the processor and will give you one exchange with no questions asked.
 
Thanks again for all the replies.

I decided to return this kit in exchange for a 1866/C9 which runs at 1.5v.

I somewhat rely on this PC build so better playing save. The CPU itself is slighty overclocked but at a rather low vcore of 1.20v which is well within the Intel specs.
 
Good decision. That was some really spendy ram you had there.

I have been running 1.65 on my Ivy 3570k @ 4.7 Ghz without issues since it released last spring.

( G.Skill 2133 2x 4 Gb kit 9-10-11 )
 
Back
Top