1/4" jack vs Line-out1

SoundBlaster

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2004
Messages
142
I had HD595 connected to line-out1 in the X-Fi XtremeMusic card and I'm looking for
X-Fi Elite Pro with external I/O box that include 1/4" jack for headphones.
So, which better to connect to: ----> ( line-out1 OR 1/4" jack ) ?
 
My memory may be sketchy on this but I seem to remember that the line out's DAC is better than the one for the headphone out. That is just a vague recollection though. Can't remember where I read it.
 
If your question is; which connection is best for your headphone jack, the 1/8" in the sound card back plate (the first of the 3 analog outs) or the 1/4" in the front panel (for the Elite Pro). My answer is: shouldn't make any difference!
 
Assuming the Elite Pro has the better DACs, then that would be your better headphone connection.
 
the elite pro break box has DAC ( CS3492: 114db ) for 1/4 headphones jack but I don't know about the DAC used in Fatal1ty bay drive for 1/4 headphones jack.
 
I would go with the headphone into the Elite Pro because I understand it to have a slightly better DAC than the rest of the X-Fi cards. I use my SanHD595 headphones into the XtreemeMusic, and don't think it can get much better-- but won't know for sure until I try the Elite Pro or the XMeridian. Read the never ending thread on the XMeridian; you will learn a lot from those guys going at it.
 
I found out that elite pro break box had DAC ( CS3492: 114db ) for 1/4 headphones jack and 1/8 Line-out1 jack on the card plate had DAC ( CS3498: 120db ) which better DAC than the one on the break box objectively.
Does the quality of the card's DAC subjectively is better than than the headphones' DAC in the break box :rolleyes: ?
 
Back
Top