1.2kW PCP&C Supply is louder than my graphics cards

neural0

Limp Gawd
I have the 1.2kW Turbo PC Power & Cooling Power Supply and except for the lack of modular cables, I love it. Oh except for the fact that it is the loudest part of my whole computer. It literally masks the noise my crossfire'd 6850's make until they are at 80% or higher fan speed.

Are the newer 1kW+ power supplies any quieter or am I stuck with them all being really really loud?

Turbo-Cool PSUs are very noisy. Most other units on the market are much quieter. However, for a 6850 Crossfire setup, I'd go with something in the 750W range rather than a 1000W or higher PSU.

Yeah, Turbo Cools are server units adapted with connectors for the consumer market, but personally I would never use one just because of the horrible noise issue. Any real consumer PSU will be much, much more quiet than your current jet engine. :p

Uh yep, almost every single 1200w psu outside of Turbo cool is NOT airline engine loud. Also most of them are modular too :p Ah the magic of PC Power living in the past a decade ago. I rather enjoy my modular, silent, well built and not too pricey psus :p
Anyways you're only using Xfire 6850s? You don't even need more than a 600w psu to be honest. I'd say anything in the Seasonic X-series, Corsair AX-series, or Antec HCP with 600w or more would be more than plenty and near silent.

Back