• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1 2001fp or two 1901fps...help me decide

phas3d

Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2003
Messages
916
Ok, i have enough money for either 1 Dell 2001fp or two 1901fps. I currently own a run of the mill ViewSonic A90f from BustBuy. My two options are to either use the current crt (19inch) side by side with a new 2001fp or purchase two 1901fps and sell/trash the viewsonic.

What would you guys do? I have never as much as seen any of the Dell LCDs so Im at odds. I would even consider two 1800fps as I have heard they are better for gaming than the 1901s but Ill be damned if after the 15% off deal Dell has currently that the two 1901s end up being cheaper than two 1800s. :rolleyes:

I mainly do web design and multimedia work on my computer now. I play games, but not very often. I wouldnt mind having one CRT and one LCD so I can compare how my graphics would appear on each, but it isnt a huge concern.

thanks go out in advance to those whom grace me with their opinions.


phas3d
 
Ok, so from another thread and this one, I have two votes for buying the dual 1800fps and two votes for the 2001fp. Anyone care to break a tie? Oh, and please give a little reason behind your opinions. thanks.


phas3d
 
I'd go with dual 1901fp's. A friend of mine got his 1901fp last week and it is an awesome LCD. Look great in games and movies.

Dual monitors is the only way to go in my opinion.
 
I'd go with a single 2001FP... Its a nicer LCD from what I've been told. Although I personally own an 1800FP and I am really pleased with it. Do you really forsee the need for two monitors, and unless you have a card with dual DVI out then the second LCD won't look as nice
 
My vote for dual screens. My preference is larger is better, but depends on your budget.

Two 19" (or 18") are better than any 20" in terms of workspace. For the same price, i'd get 2x19". More desktop to do work, or watch movies while working, or among other things. 20" is HUGE though in itself, so I'm not sure if you'll really need the space.

Keep in mind their native resolutions too. The 20" will have you gaming in 1600 while the 19" and 18" will go for 1280. Although if you run the 20" in 1280, it won't look that bad.

In terms of features, the 2001 also has multiple inputs (vga, s-video, composite) which are useful for playing video games or running other stuff on the screen on the screen. I have a dreamcast and ps2 hooked up to mine.

There's always the option of getting a 2001fp, and then buying another one in the future! i wish someone would make a dual DVI ati card!
 
be fair warned about the 2001FP.

the percentage ratio between good to defective 2001FPs isnt lookin' too good now in days.

I guess it boils down to how one's luck is which in my case isnt too good cuz I have my third replacement unit coming soon.

now, for the record, I dont want it to sound like I'm saying the 2001FP is a POS cuz its far from it. however, Dell's QC dept must not be being too strict on these things cuz there's quite a few people in this forum alone (including me) who have gotten units with either dead pixels and/or backlighting issues.

again, I guess it all boils down to luck.
 
I ordered the 2001fp. I really dont need two monitors but could get another some time down the line. I think my determining factor was the lack of desk space I currently have. Another monitor at this point is going to cost me the price of the monitor plus an additional amount for a new desk.

Thanks to all who gave me their opinions.


phas3d
 
One more piece of advice for the long term....

One you go dual screens, you'll never go back to a single monitor. At least that's what I think and I'm sure many other people on the boards will agree. Alt-tabbing just isn't the same... i find myself on other computers wanting to drag a window to make space....but there's no more space to drag it to.

Just another though if you're on a budget in the future.

Although i do suppose i could live with a single 42" plasma or LCD TV....They just need to get that resolution up.
 
I personally have a 1800FP and I would like a second. I've had a dual 18'' LCD setup before and it is much better than a single 21'' CRT that I was on earlier. There is just so much more space, that you'll probably find yourself unaccustomed to all of it.
 
Back
Top