1 120 and quad core

webbed

Weaksauce
I'm looking to watercool and overclock my cpu which is a q6600. If I reuse all of the parts from the last time I watercooled all I will need is a new block which will cost about the same as an air cooler. The radiator I have is a Black Ice Pro. From what I've read an overclocked quad core gives out about 250watts and the radiator that I have says it's rated for 378K cal/hour which converted to watts is 440 watts so it should be able to handle it. Would it work or is my thinking wrong?

I'm looking to watercool and overclock my cpu which is a q6600. If I reuse all of the parts from the last time I watercooled all I will need is a new block which will cost about the same as an air cooler. The radiator I have is a Black Ice Pro. From what I've read an overclocked quad core gives out about 250watts and the radiator that I have says it's rated for 378K cal/hour which converted to watts is 440 watts so it should be able to handle it. Would it work or is my thinking wrong?

I don't know if any single 1x120 rad can dissipate 400 watts of heat. Are you sure?

you would be cutting it close, it's recommended that for hotter CPUs like the q600, you go with a dual radiator setup and if you plan on throwing a GPU or anything else in there, you might want to think about a triple rad loop.

Well from seeing other builds and such a quad would be find with one 120 cooling it. Im going to be WC sometime soon and will have 2 loops, 1x 120 for my quad and 1x 240 for my 2x ultras.

I can't possibly see a single 120 cooling a quad. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's going to have desired results.

It's always POSSIBLE to watercool anything with any sized radiator. The question is, what kind of temps are you looking for. A stock quad will run on a single 120mm just fine with near rock bottom temps provided your fans are good enough. However, once you exceed a radiator's capacity, your temps will rise. Can you water cool a quad and two 8800GTX's on a single 120mm rad? Of course you can...but your temps are going to be near air levels but you'll gain silence over the removal of annoying small fans.

Now if you're planning to overclock or want rock bottom temps like I do, you'll want to separate components into separate loops to ensure that the heat dump from one component won't affect another and that each radiator is more than enough to deal with the measured heat dump of said component.

I don't know if any single 1x120 rad can dissipate 400 watts of heat. Are you sure?

I'm not sure. I dont know if I did the conversion right or if what it says on the site is an exageration. I wanted to see if anyone could confirm what I'm thinking. The kind of temps I'd like to have are better then expensive air cooling.

the question is, can it dissipate 400W at a 10C air-coolant differential, or is it measured at something past the 10C air-coolant differential?

Back