• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1:1 ram/cpu on i7

leehom

n00b
Joined
Nov 14, 2007
Messages
23
I'm new to this. I've been playing with my i5 and i7 trying to match the ram to cpu bus speed?

If I lower the bus speed, I noticed the voltage drops and my cpu runs cooler. What is the correct bus speed to sync it properly to 1600mhz ram? Originally my mb ran it at 160 bus x18 = 2.88ghz . When I change it to 200 bus x15 = 3ghz, the temp rises about 7 degrees hotter.

Why does raising the bus speed, yet pretty much keeping the cpu running at the same speed increase the heat?

I just learned that turning off the cpu vcore from auto to manual drops the voltage and makes my cpu run cooler :cool: yea yea, I know I'm a noob.
Currently my temp is 50-54 with a AC7 on my i7. I did notice when I put my i5 in my new mobo (biostar) it ran a lot cooler (35c on stock heat sink vs 45c on AC7). Is it possible the gigabyte ud3r isn't that good with temp because of the foxconn socket vs the lotes socket on my biostar?
 
Last edited:
becouse its not the bus there is no bus on i7
becouse it up the uncore and QPI link speeds
 
So it doesn't matter what I set the blck/bus speed at? 133 should be ok?? Because 133 is the lowest I can set it for my ram to run @1600 mhz and the max my cpu can run is 3ghz (133 x 22). This gives me the lowest vcore and drops my temp in the low 30's.

I don't really care about OC, I just want my cpu to run as cool as possible @ 3ghz. Stock speed is 2.8ghz, so it's a very light OC.
 
well its going to run the uncore and QPI links slower imo just leave it stock if you dont want to overclock
 
why are you even bothering with a 200MHz overclock? going from 2.8 to 3.0 hardly seems worth the trouble of tinkering around in your bios. it's not likely you'll ever notice any discernable performance increase from such a very mild OC. not to mention, turbo boost will give you more than that to begin with.
 
Like I said earlier, I don't care about OC. I just want my cpu to run cooler.
 
leave it stock and let turbo boost + speed step do its thing
 
i'd do exactly as elios suggested.

do you have your ac7 setup in a push/pull config? if not, add a second fan for pull. if so, maybe you need more case airflow?

no sense in messing with your vcore to lower your temps if you haven't first addressed the issue of adequate cooling.
 
Push/Pull? With the motherboard I have, I could only install it one way. The fan is facing down.
 
when you say your heatsink is an ac7, i'm assuming you're referring to the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro. pictured here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

a push/pull is when you have a second fan on the other side of the heatsink. with the way your heatsink is oriented, that fan that is facing down is pushing air over the heatsink fins. a second fan on the other side would be blowing in the same direction, thereby pulling air over the heatsink fins.

does your case have a top exhaust port? if not, you're just blowing hot air around inside.
 
Are those your idle temps? 54C idle is quite high. Reseat the heatsink.
Yes, idle temps.

Idle when blck @ 200 = 50-54

blck @ 160 = 40-44

blck @ 133 = 30-32

Whenever I lower the blck, the vcore drops. This most likely has a direct correlation to the cpu temps.


I think it's because of the Foxconn socket. I did some research on it and it's poo. Something about bad pins and poor contact which is probably resulting in the higher than normal temps. My i5 on a biostar MB (lotes socket + stock heatsink) idled at 29. When I bumped the blck to 160 the temp only went up 3 degrees to 32. The i5 on my gigabyte with stock heatsink was in the 50's. When I swapped it to the AC7 it dropped to 44.
 
i'm suspicious of that vcore drop. what is doing it? if something is making adjustments behind your back, you can't really trust your settings. make sure you set things manually and maybe disable turbo boost until you can build an accurate profile of what your cpu can do.
 
I've got a Gigabyte UD3R, same as yours. It's a beast, I couldnt be happier with my temps. What program are you getting temps from? coretemp reports my idle to be at 33-37, while easytune6 (the mobos monitoring program) reports a cool 27-28 idle temp. That's at a 4.0 oc w/1.325v
 
Back
Top