• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

0*0000007B error

iamkion132

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
57
I am wondering how do I go about fixing this issue. I have narrowed it down to a sata/motherboard driver issue as the drive that windows is currently installed on has been transferred to a new motherboard after the old motherboard died. I am unable to boot into windows in either safemode or normal boot to be able to install these drivers without getting a 0*0000007B error. The operating system is XP home and the computer is an offbrand by a company called V2premier. I can't find the original restore disk for the computer, so what legal options are there to try installing the sata drivers for this newest motherboard?

The drive works as I tested it on another computer. I do have an XP pro disk that I could use to do a repair option on, but I don't know how legal it is to use my personal disk to do a repair option on another persons system.
 
Is the new motherboard the same model as the old one? If not, you need to reformat. No real way around it.
 
The problem you are having is due to plugging your drive into a controller that no driver is loaded for in the original OS. The only way to make something like that work is to load the driver FIRST before you move the drive (obviously your original board died so...).

You can most definitely do a repair, but the problem is that the media you use really needs to match the media used to install the OS in the first place (OEM, Retail, NFR, or Upgrade). The reason is that when you do the repair and it asks you for the product key, it will only accept a key associated with the type of media you did the repair with.

i.e., the original OS came from an OEM CD with an OEM key, and you try to repair it using a Retail CD, you'll need to input a Retail key...so when you try to use the OEM key from the side of the case, it will complain that the key isn't valid.

-S
 
Would this be possible to pull off at all? I would install my copy of XP pro on a different partition/folder and then somehow install the needed sata drivers for the XP home and then remove XP pro. I know this is a long shot and most likely not possible.
 
Would this be possible to pull off at all? I would install my copy of XP pro on a different partition/folder and then somehow install the needed sata drivers for the XP home and then remove XP pro. I know this is a long shot and most likely not possible.

If you install to another folder it will still overwrite at least part of the original install, probably would not work, maybe something to try when you are sure you are out of options. As for another partition, near impossible unless there are other partitions that already exist. Creating another one now would have to resize the original. Could possibly be done with the right tools, but very risky. Your probable best option as far as success, but not expense, would be to go ahead and use your disk, do a repair, and get the data off. then back it up and reformat. If you need to get another Windows disk to cover the licensing issue, you could do that. Not a free option, but you would be more likely to get the data than by trying the other options. I guess it all depends on what its worth. ;)
 
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316401&sd=RMVP

You could give this a shot.

What you do is a clean install, but! you do not overwrite the existing windows folder.

If you go here - http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpwindowsparallel/indexfullpage.htm

The install starts about 1/3 of the way down the page. Basically you choose the existing partition, and it will ask you if you want to overwrite it or not. You choose "leave current file system intact." And it will install windows to a new folder. After that you'll boot into windows successfully (hopefully) and you'll have full access to the previous data on the drive.

One thing to note, when creating the new folder - name it like WinXP so you can easily tell the difference.

You don't have many options though. Good luck.
 
You can definitely do it the way described above this post, but the problem is that you will have to reinstall all your applications, move the data over for each application, etc because once you install to a different Windows system folder, you are using a different registry (which has no idea about the programs/data installed in the other registry).

If you can get the original media/key (must be the same version of Windows as well...so Home, Pro, MCE, etc), you can do a repair (2nd repair option after you boot the disk; you skip the first repair option), reinstall all service packs/updates to get the system up to date, reinstall any programs (usually antivirus, etc) that are acting quirky after the reinstall and the computer will behave just as before with full access to previously installed programs (which will know where their data files are, etc).

-S
 
Turn off AHCI in the bios for sata operation Windows XP does not support AHCI out of the box and will blue screen on you.
 
I can't find any option in the BIOS of the new motherboard to turn off AHCI. It's a biostar NF61S-M2 TE and I went through everything and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn of AHCI. I've installed my XP copy on the system and it's up and running right now, although I still need to install some of the drivers for this copy. XP pro is in a seperate folder though.

I'm considering creating the new users in XP pro and then doing my document redirects to their old accounts. They mosy likely wouldn't know the difference from their copy of XP to mine.
 
Just in my experience a 0x0000007B is 99% of the time driver or software issues. not to say there is a problem with the software it's self but it also can be something that windows does not like with the hardware i.e. BIOS settings or setup.

A a lot of times if you get this 0x0000007B at boot, windows is failing on some driver most often chip set or controller drivers.

I looked at the BIOS for this board don't think it has AHCI as a option, so that is of no concern at this point, however something you say has me puzzled. is this a fresh install or are you trying to migrate a old install to a new motherboard/system?
 
Just in my experience a 0x0000007B is 99% of the time driver or software issues. not to say there is a problem with the software it's self but it also can be something that windows does not like with the hardware i.e. BIOS settings or setup.

A a lot of times if you get this 0x0000007B at boot, windows is failing on some driver most often chip set or controller drivers.

I looked at the BIOS for this board don't think it has AHCI as a option, so that is of no concern at this point, however something you say has me puzzled. is this a fresh install or are you trying to migrate a old install to a new motherboard/system?

Old install to a new motherboard. The old board died and I wasn't able to get it up again so I had to order a new motherboard, along with a new processor and RAM. I hooked up everything and got a continuous reboot so I made sure that the next time it booted up and there was an error it wouldn't restart. That's when I saw the stop error and tried a couple of different things but wasn't able to get past the blue screen and that's when I posted here.

I've installed XP Pro on the system, recreated the users from the Documents and Settings folder and then transferred most of their files and settings to the appropriate places and did a My document redirection to their old my documents. They most likely won't notice the difference. XP home is still on the system, but that's the OS that gets the stop error. Pro has no problem booting up and I've installed most of the drivers needed for the motherboard and it's running fine with no system stability issues.
 
Back
Top