Giant DDoS Attacks Are Now Hitting 500Gbps

HardOCP News

[H] News
DDoS attacks that hit 500Gbps? Yikes! And these are just the reported cases. You have to wonder how many of these DDoS extortion attempts go unreported every year.

Criminals flexing their technical muscles was the biggest motivation last year behind distributed denial-of-service attacks (DDoS), which involve flooding a target's web servers with junk traffic, according to an analysis by Arbor Networks. Given that online criminals showing off their capabilities was the number one reason for such attacks in 2015, it is unsurprising that the company found in its 2015 infrastructure report that this was closely followed by "criminal extortion attempts".

I know DDoS attacks have crippled Star Trek Online repeatedly in the last week.

Yeah, it's really annoying.

I'm in a casual clan (2.Fjg). We used to have the top ranked public Red Orchestra 2 server in the world.

That was, until someone took exception with us for some reason (Competing server? Pissed off banned player? Just someone trolling?) and started DDOS:ing our server on a regular basis, especially hard around free weekends and other times when new players would join.

At first opur hosting company could handle them, as they were small. Then the DDOS:es started growing and growing to the point where they couldn't keep up with them anymore, and they just routed traffic to null for 4 hours, every time an attack started.

We switched hosting companies to a new one which claimed to be better able to handle DDOS attacks, but unfortunately it was too late.

It absolutely killed us. Now the server is mostly empty. It's really disappointing because we had a really good community going.

I really wish there were a unified approach to dealing with DDOS style attacks, taking all members of attacking swarms offline until they either fixed their infected computers, or prosecuted them, if it were a voluntary LOIC type of attack.

Yea from what I hear it is really killing game servers. Hopefully someone finds a way to fight them. It sucks that it is so easy to to get one started.

Zarathustra[H];1042106656 said:
Yeah, it's really annoying.

I'm in a casual clan (2.Fjg). We used to have the top ranked public Red Orchestra 2 server in the world.

That was, until someone took exception with us for some reason (Competing server? Pissed off banned player? Just someone trolling?) and started DDOS:ing our server on a regular basis, especially hard around free weekends and other times when new players would join.

At first opur hosting company could handle them, as they were small. Then the DDOS:es started growing and growing to the point where they couldn't keep up with them anymore, and they just routed traffic to null for 4 hours, every time an attack started.

We switched hosting companies to a new one which claimed to be better able to handle DDOS attacks, but unfortunately it was too late.

It absolutely killed us. Now the server is mostly empty. It's really disappointing because we had a really good community going.

I really wish there were a unified approach to dealing with DDOS style attacks, taking all members of attacking swarms offline until they either fixed their infected computers, or prosecuted them, if it were a voluntary LOIC type of attack.

Make DDoSing a felony with a mandatory minimum of 5 years in prison and 10 years of no internet access.

Make DDoSing a felony with a mandatory minimum of 5 years in prison and 10 years of no internet access.

Can't ban someone from the internet as everything is routed through the internet. Going to prevent someone from using a cell phone? ATM? What about making a purchase at the store with a credit card? OOPS JUST USED THE INTERNETS WITH MY VISA CARD!

It's a victimless crime at it's core. Make them do physical labor on a farm with no tech for 6 months if you want to cause them pain. No internet, no network access, rise and shine when the cock crows. They will appreciate life totally.

Can't ban someone from the internet as everything is routed through the internet. Going to prevent someone from using a cell phone? ATM? What about making a purchase at the store with a credit card? OOPS JUST USED THE INTERNETS WITH MY VISA CARD!

It's a victimless crime at it's core. Make them do physical labor on a farm with no tech for 6 months if you want to cause them pain. No internet, no network access, rise and shine when the cock crows. They will appreciate life totally.

No it is not a victimless crime. It is a trespass against property rights.

I don't care if they have to move into an Amish town; you DDoS and violate someone else's property rights, you pay the price.

I am torn on this matter. On the one hand, most DDOS attacks I've seen/heard/read about seem to be pointless trolls causing problems for others for no real reason. On the other hand I believe DDOS could / can be used as a form of protest. If protesters form a line and deny shoppers access to a physical store they will likely be arrested on a minor misdemeanor. I think some DDOS should be treated that way rather than act like the same offense is somehow worse if it is done with a computer.

I guess the problem is one person with a good sized botnet can disrupt a server where it would always take at least a dozen or so to protest that way in person. Don't have an idea for a solution, but think its more nuanced then make it a felony and hammer everyone.

I work at a very small company and we have to drop quite a bit of dough per month on ddos protection which we absolutely need. It's pretty messed up considering we don't have many customers. I don't think we can continue like this much longer tbh.

I am torn on this matter. On the one hand, most DDOS attacks I've seen/heard/read about seem to be pointless trolls causing problems for others for no real reason. On the other hand I believe DDOS could / can be used as a form of protest. If protesters form a line and deny shoppers access to a physical store they will likely be arrested on a minor misdemeanor. I think some DDOS should be treated that way rather than act like the same offense is somehow worse if it is done with a computer.

I guess the problem is one person with a good sized botnet can disrupt a server where it would always take at least a dozen or so to protest that way in person. Don't have an idea for a solution, but think its more nuanced then make it a felony and hammer everyone.

It is typically what gets headlines are the big companys or twitch trolls. What you won't read about are the little guys that get it cuz of a mad customer, or some even practice 'protection fees' where you pay money to have them DDOS a network that is doing it to you to keep you 'safe'. It is a bigger problem than mainstream media will ever talk about. Yea, imagine yourself unable to cash your get your paycheck deposited because the server is being attacked and there is no ETA as to when you can use it because they have to wait it out.

The DDoS attacks you don't see are the big problem. There are hackers out there, usually associated with organized crime or terrorists, are using DDoS attacks to extort businesses. They knock a business's servers offline, and only let up after the business has paid a ransom. It can be in the five or six figure range. Ask for too much, and the business gets involved with law enforcement instead. Ask for little enough, and they just pay to make the pest go away, and usually don't bother to contact the police about it.

The DDoS attacks you don't see are the big problem. There are hackers out there, usually associated with organized crime or terrorists, are using DDoS attacks to extort businesses. They knock a business's servers offline, and only let up after the business has paid a ransom. It can be in the five or six figure range. Ask for too much, and the business gets involved with law enforcement instead. Ask for little enough, and they just pay to make the pest go away, and usually don't bother to contact the police about it.

A big one, DD4BC, just saw some of its members arrested.

http://www.newsbtc.com/2016/01/21/e...ing-bitcoin-ransom-group-dd4bc-investigation/

The penalties should be upped for the physical store since it is essentially theft of real estate (they are denying the owner the lawful use of the premises).

What-Are-DDOS-Attacks.jpg

I recently read an article saying that now hackers are reverse engineering the codes of most popular applications(both for windows and android platform) to embedded it with special codes to perform DDOS attacks.
These guys then upload these cracked applications to torrent and other third party websites for free downloads.
These apps will normal in the user system and without the knowledge of user apps will perform infinite ping requests with target servers. This kind of traffic to the servers may look normal and is resistant to normal DDOS prevention methods. I got this article when I was reading about the reverse-engineered files of recent trending game Pokemon GO.
I believe that the "victims" can limit that their router to prevent their web server from being overloaded by client requests.

Back