Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this post, the latest patch for Fallout 4 breaks mod support. The strangest part is that there is no mention of it in the patch notes. Head on over to Blue's for all the news.

A Steam Community Group Announcement has word that the new version 4.1.2 update for Fallout 4 is now out of beta, and is live in the action/RPG sequel. This apparently breaks mod support for the game, which is not mentioned in the patch notes, so it's not clear if this is intentional.

All you have to do is tweak the plugins.txt / make it Read Only. I had the same issue with Nexus Mod Manager before the patch, not a big deal.

I haven't seen a patch yet. Is it happening in the background via steam and it's just not obvious enough for me to notice it?

I'm running the PC version of Fo4.

Why would they mention breaking whatever mods with the patch anyway? I think when you start changing things in the game, you are pretty much on your own.

I don't think Bethesda is thrilled to see modders take on changing the game experience right from the start. It's one thing to let the game run a while and then offer some fresh options, it's another to try to recreate the game from day one.

I imagine this is probably just because they don't test mod support when they test the patches.

It's probably because the GECK hasn't been released, yet. I have a feeling they won't even release it until mods are ready for consoles...
I haven't seen a patch yet. Is it happening in the background via steam and it's just not obvious enough for me to notice it?

I'm running the PC version of Fo4.
You might have to restart Steam to get it to queue up. If you opted into the FO4 beta, you probably need to opt out to get the final version of the patch.

According to this post, the latest patch for Fallout 4 breaks mod support. The strangest part is that there is no mention of it in the patch notes. Head on over to Blue's for all the news.

A Steam Community Group Announcement has word that the new version 4.1.2 update for Fallout 4 is now out of beta, and is live in the action/RPG sequel. This apparently breaks mod support for the game, which is not mentioned in the patch notes, so it's not clear if this is intentional.

The patch doesn't break support for mods because there was no support for mods to begin with.

You can't test a patch against every third-party modification; especially when it is done by means of low level modifications to the game.

I don't think Bethesda is thrilled to see modders take on changing the game experience right from the start. It's one thing to let the game run a while and then offer some fresh options, it's another to try to recreate the game from day one.

Modders who jump in before the release of the Modder kit in January do so at their own risk ... once Beth releases the Modder kit then it is highly unlikely that mods would get broken by patches compatible with the kit ... I don't think Beth cares one way or the other what happens to mods prior to the release of the kit

If they gave a damn about mods and modders they would have talked with them during testing. BUT heaven knows we can't have a stuff like widescreen rezzes, FOV sliders, or intelligent dialog choices..... BETHESDA KNOWS BEST!!!

I think I know what you mean by intelligent dialog choices and I don't fully agree.

It seems to me that the player's dialog choices are canned but that the actual voice overs and the NPC responses aren't too bad. That Charisma and such can have an effect on the conversation options adds something too.

Now in all fairness, I haven't played anything other then Bethesda's games in this genre so if someone else has been doing it far better, I haven't seen it and I would love to here about it too.

You might have to restart Steam to get it to queue up. If you opted into the FO4 beta, you probably need to opt out to get the final version of the patch.

Maybe if I launch steam first, I have just been clicking directly on the game icon. Of course I see it log into my Steam Account and I know Steam is running, but the Steam interface never opens for me to interact with, the game just launches.

On a side note, I saw my first possibly reliable method for resetting your stats and perks. It involves concole commands but as long as I can save afterward I am good with that. I just have a few perk choices I want to reapply so I'll be doing that when I get home tonight.

I've decided it's a little wasteful to spread your perks among several different weapon type skills. Fore instance, it's probably better to focus on either Gunslinger, Rifleman, or Commando but not all three.

Besides, the combination of the primary weapon +bash + explosives, are a natural within the game interface but switching weapons is less fluid and to me it detracts from game play.

Maybe if I launch steam first, I have just been clicking directly on the game icon. Of course I see it log into my Steam Account and I know Steam is running, but the Steam interface never opens for me to interact with, the game just launches.

On a side note, I saw my first possibly reliable method for resetting your stats and perks. It involves concole commands but as long as I can save afterward I am good with that. I just have a few perk choices I want to reapply so I'll be doing that when I get home tonight.

I've decided it's a little wasteful to spread your perks among several different weapon type skills. Fore instance, it's probably better to focus on either Gunslinger, Rifleman, or Commando but not all three.

Besides, the combination of the primary weapon +bash + explosives, are a natural within the game interface but switching weapons is less fluid and to me it detracts from game play.

This.

I myself have been working on rifleman and love sniping. It does bring out a sick part of me as I blow off an arm or cripple a leg and smile lol.

Gamers are not stupid. They don't need handholding. I believe anyone who uses mods has the common sense to know when to blame the mod and when the game. It's not like anyone would use a mod that makes the game worse in their eyes.

Since the perks are level locked you end up spreading them anyway. The game basically forces you to branch out and not max out a few attributes fast.

Gamers are not stupid. They don't need handholding. I believe anyone who uses mods has the common sense to know when to blame the mod and when the game. It's not like anyone would use a mod that makes the game worse in their eyes.

I don't get how you jumped from what I said to this. I'm a gamer, I'm not stupid either, wtf ;)

I remember people who didn't even want to buy the game cause they were so worried over day one bugs and because they would wait for the modders to make the game worth playing.

Their loss. I've been playing this game every day since release. Ive been having a blast and I didn't need any mods to make it run better or make it prettier, or to fix any bugs. It just works and yes I have seen some glitches but nothing at all that is game breaking.

Call me lucky.

Call me easily amused.

Call me whatever the fuck you want to.

But don't try and tell me modders are going to save this game or make this game worth buying.

Since the perks are level locked you end up spreading them anyway. The game basically forces you to branch out and not max out a few attributes fast.

Nope, not unless you do some min-maxing of your stats. Several perks are unavailable unless you put enough points into base stats to unlock the perk. You have plenty enough options to increase stats to open perks along the way.

I'm not saying you won't "spread them", but you can spend them on more useful perks and you can effectively waste them it's all possible.

Like I said, combat is more fluid if you focus on a weapon type, Melee/Gunslinger/Rifleman/Commando/Heavy Gunner, etc. Explosives and Bash are both hotkeyed so they are both naturals as well.

Now you have more points available early to mid game to spend on crafting and other perks like toughness, sneak, whatever you choose and continue to add to your SPECIAL Stats when your not sure where else to spend them.

This also means you have entire classes of weapons you don't need to hang onto.

Just to pass it on. The console commands worked, I was able to drop all four levels of Gunslinger and add four levels of Rifleman and the game is just fine. Played all night no issues.

Happy gaming.

Mods are a big part of what made Bethesda so disproportionately successful beginning with Oblivion through Skyrim, which are really only mediocre games on a mediocre engine in vanilla form. Call it the Minecraft effect or whatever, but people sure love their sandboxes. So they had better mention it, if only to be polite.

The games are hardly mediocre, in vanilla form. You can't just attribute everything that's good about the games to mods. Because it's not true. Mods are mostly cosmetic, or change some minor gameplay details to suit someone's preferences.

I stay away from gameplay changing mods, because they're more cheats than mods.

What about higher difficulty changing and survival related mods? ;) I enjoy my games hard and I've always hated low damage model games, the previous Fallout games I played with much higher damage model (the same applied to enemy and myself) resulting in you have to be much more careful in gunfights since both the enemy AND you can only withstand a few bullet hits at most (depending on enemy and weapon might only require sometimes 1-2 hits).

For me the games are not entertaining whatsoever if I can run around taking 10-15 hits and the guy just happily continues to run around like nothing happened. :)

The games are hardly mediocre, in vanilla form. You can't just attribute everything that's good about the games to mods. Because it's not true. Mods are mostly cosmetic, or change some minor gameplay details to suit someone's preferences.

Personal opinion, of course, but I don't think the games are all that great modded or unmodded. Still, they are fun, and the modding aspect and large environment is what gives them staying power beyond what content was put in the game ab initio by Bethesda. So you can give them credit for that.

What about higher difficulty changing and survival related mods? ;) I enjoy my games hard and I've always hated low damage model games, the previous Fallout games I played with much higher damage model (the same applied to enemy and myself) resulting in you have to be much more careful in gunfights since both the enemy AND you can only withstand a few bullet hits at most (depending on enemy and weapon might only require sometimes 1-2 hits).

For me the games are not entertaining whatsoever if I can run around taking 10-15 hits and the guy just happily continues to run around like nothing happened. :)

I'm of the same opinion. I can't stand damage-sponging in games, but the problem with ultra-realism on that front is that the rest of the mechanics usually are not there to support it. The game (any) wouldn't be very fun if it were permadeath and one-hit KOs for the player, and you were still required to kill thousands of enemies by your lonesome at a sitting. I wonder if anybody will actually tackle this little problem beyond DayZ-style PvP environments.

Nexus Mod Manager has already been updated to prevent the mods from being disabled by the patched game. So, not an unusual or major impact to mods.

Nexus Mod Manager has already been updated to prevent the mods from being disabled by the patched game. So, not an unusual or major impact to mods.

... but it is click bait!

I agree completely. The availability of Mods for Bethesda's games have never even remotely influenced my decision to buy them. Not even on the radar.

I agree completely. The availability of Mods for Bethesda's games have never even remotely influenced my decision to buy them. Not even on the radar.

I can understand that when just looking at the game. but when you are deciding between a few games for your title for the year (i get about one game a year)...the game having legs helps alot!

I can understand that as well. I am an old man tho and my gaming budget is less restrictive. Hell, I'll be collecting SS in 7 years.

I need to start looking for old folks homes that have google fiber, never hurts to be prepared :D

Back