FBI Has Lead In Probe Of 1.2 Billion Stolen Web Credentials

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Well, look on the bright side; it could have been two or three billion credentials that were stolen.

The FBI investigation was prompted by last year's announcement by Milwaukee-based cybersecurity firm Hold Security that it obtained information that a Russian hacker group it dubbed CyberVor had stolen the 1.2 billion credentials and more than 500 million email addresses.

Yikes - That’s a ton of data! I hope that the FBI is getting serious about catching the culprit/culprits as well as thinking about how to prevent a breach of this magnitude in the future. Cybersecurity has increasingly become a vital part of our world and this is just one example of why! As criminals get more sophisticated so must the technology we use to protect this data. Check out this newly released report, 2016 Predictions for the Evolving Threat Landscape from Fortinet’s FortiGuard Labs

Yikes - That’s a ton of data! I hope that the FBI is getting serious about catching the culprit/culprits as well as thinking about how to prevent a breach of this magnitude in the future. Cybersecurity has increasingly become a vital part of our world and this is just one example of why! As criminals get more sophisticated so must the technology we use to protect this data. Check out this newly released report, 2016 Predictions for the Evolving Threat Landscape from Fortinet’s FortiGuard Labs

They can pinpoint the culprits but they can't do anything about getting them out of Russia to pay for their crimes.

They can pinpoint the culprits but they can't do anything about getting them out of Russia to pay for their crimes.

This is what I wonder about. How to stop a criminal element in another country that has potential to ruin an entire economy. It's basically economic warfare.

I'm interested to see how this paves out in the future to handle these groups.

The best way to prevent foreign bad guys/governments from stealing US data is of course to implement new laws in the US against US citizens. It's normal politics. :)

This is what I wonder about. How to stop a criminal element in another country that has potential to ruin an entire economy. It's basically economic warfare.

I'm interested to see how this paves out in the future to handle these groups.

I think sanctions is starting to play in this arena. Do not allow us to investigate these criminals in your country, or implicitly/explicitly allow them to operate in your jurisdiction, and we'll openly put you on the OFAC list, which did some damage.

Although of course, our ex-Congressmen for hire will happily lobby on behalf of Russian state-owned enterprises hit by sanctions. Good ol' Trent Lott and John Breaux signed on for that sweet Russian cash to talk some sense into their former colleagues; don't sanction Russia comrade, they only mean well!

https://www.judicialwatch.org/bulletins/russian-sanctions-follow-money/

Back